1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Shack by William P Young

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Phoenixchild, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Anyone else read this? Would be interested to hear others views, I loved it and found it very thought provoking, mom hated it, work colleague is also loving it, any thoughts?xx

2. I have read it as part of a book club and, like you, was interested to see everyone's varied response to it. I, personally, loved it[​IMG]

3. I loved it and was deeply affected by the questions addressed in it. If you were reading it as a murder mystery though, I would say you woud have been disappointed.
    I knew what the book was about, and chose to buy it for that reason. I thought the imagery in the book was beautiful, and very moved by it.
    I plan to reread it.

4. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

We read it at my book club and most people did not like it. I found it a bit trite in places but I thought it was an interesting idea and worth doing.

5. I am currently reading this and although I find it hard going in places, it has made me think deeply about a lot of things and see things from a different perspective, I'd definately recommend it to anyone

6. I'm afraid it didn't 'astound' me as promised and (I may be missing the point somewhat) it didn't convince me of God's existence either. May bring some comfort to others I guess.

7. I really liked this book when I read it about a year ago. I just thought the ideas were very interesting and I actually laughed out aloud when I read the bit about getting your feet wet! The humour of this part made me say "Of course!" and over all I really enjoyed it.

8. I've just finished this book. Although parts of it did challenge me, the book hasn't helped me reconcile a merciful God with the dreadful suffering endured by some. I think I'll come back to it in a few weeks and see if things will be clearer the second time round.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I was given a copy of 'The Shack' a year or so ago. I was urged to read it; told it was 'life-changing'; and assured that it would strengthen my faith (I am a committed Christian).
    I couldn't get into the book. Possibly, I had been led to expect too much from it. I found it poorly written and predictable. It didn't work for me either as a work of fiction or as an inspirational faith-builder.
    I never got round to finishing the book. I might decide to dust it down and give it another go at some point...but my Kindle and my bookshelves are packed with what I feel are better books.

10. I've just finished The Shack and was really moved by it, was in tears by the end and that never happens when I'm reading. It's one of those books you need to read yourself to see how you feel about it and it seems to draw emotions from some people, very thought provoking! Would definitely recommend.

11. I absolutely love this book- was recommended it by a friend at work who got it from her dad. I think it is a very unusual approach to the idea of God and think it has great links to evil and suffering and nature of God. I think after you've read it some of the ideas take a while to sink in. I have also used parts of the book with my classes when we have looked at the Nature of God in yr10 and evil and suffering in yr11. It is our current book club book and I am expecting lots of heated discussions on wednesday when we review. Think its a Marmite book- you either love it or hate it.

12. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

This book was recommended by a couple of friends.
    When I started to read it and what happened to Missy I cried a great deal and was very upset (wouldn't usually read stories involving children and violence - feel they are totally unnecessary and a subject for dramatisation of any form).
    However, I knew that there would be some kind of reconciliation so I have carried on reading. Haven't finished yet but I am really struggling with the concepts and the language. Yes it is a bit 'fairy storyish' but I understand the premise.
    I can't have anything distracting me when I am reading it - like background music etc - as I have to really concentrate. Can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing? Think I will finish it and then go back and read again from when he gets the note from Papa.