1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Secret Teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by MonstieBags, Aug 15, 2019.

1. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

After last week's episode, anyone else thinking that the last thing gobby girls need to be told is how special and clever they are? Already starting to dread end of hols- help

hlcook89 and pepper5 like this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I can't stand the mantra that you can achieve anything that you want. You just can't. What is true is that most lazy and/or disruptive pupils can be much more successful if they settle down and take advantage of all the free education to help them reach their potential.

I thought it was inappropriate for the undercover assistant in yesterday's programme to be hugging the mother of the gobby girl and the father of the Iraqi boy on home visits. She should not have been hugging the pupils either.

I don't like the idea of them selecting two pupils to get a leg-up over other pupils either. I can imagine other more hard working or compliant pupils feeling that challenging the system is what pays dividends.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I've had my share of argumentative girls who talk too much. Often they are argumentative because they're ignored and belittled. There is not an easy solution to this, because often what they want is not in their best interests. However what they frequently lack is someone who cares enough about their aspirations to talk to them and enable them to find a way through the immediate future.
    Having said that, some of the kids on secret teacher absorbed huge amounts of adult time with little apparent impact.

4. scruff77

scruff77 New commenter

It is somewhat astonishing to me, that little emphasis has been placed in this discussion on how poor behaviour has been rewarded! The message given out by this programme seems to me to ‘show little respect for authority, ignore the rules, turn up for school when you want, disrupt classes, claim you are ‘misunderstood’ and here’s your reward’.

What about those children who do work hard, or try their best even when they find lessons difficult – where are their rewards. My point is, I am irritated and annoyed by this acceptance and reward of disruptive behaviour. They could help themselves by taking the opportunities that have been given to them – a free and on the whole quality education system.

SweetDee42 likes this.
  5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My point exactly in post#2!