1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Secret Teacher: Undercover businessman discovers the shocking reality of school cuts

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 8, 2019.

1. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Always interesting to see Digital Spy comments about this type of programme.

Quite a lot of ‘How come the mouthy chav gets the attention when the quiet ones, who also need help, get ignored?’

Had to deal with several of those views during parent evenings.

2. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

I've seen a few clips from this series. Am I the only one cringing at some of the truly dreadful teaching going on? Why is the teacher with the female millionaire in class not enforcing rules about chewing gum and obvious passing of notes? Why is the teacher talking while pupils are talking over him? Why was noone asked to stand outside for repeated offences? Where were the warnings and sanctions? Why was their no evidence of a behaviour policy being followed? At what point should a pupil have been removed and collected by SLT? Why did the teacher not use body language, eye contact, use pupils' names and move around the classroom to aid focusing on the lesson instead of standing at the front saying, 'come on' etc, and why no use of voice intonation? The teacher comes across as anyone but someone leading the learning. It's like he's an afterthought for an hour in the lives of children.

Perhaps I'm old school at aged 29 but I was always trained to pay attention to the little things to help get the bigger things done. I think it was very brave of the teacher to allow himself to be filmed, but a huge mistake - many of the problems in his class were clearly down to him. Sorry, but that's how I see it.