1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The seasonal nature of tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by minceandquince, Jun 12, 2017.

1. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

I have tutored on and off for a few years inbetween working full time.

I have recently starting working in GCSE English for my part time job and have found this has opened up some new opportunities for tutoring. It looks potentially quite profitable, however now the exams are finished the work has dried up, as expected.

I'm just after some advice from anyone who tutors regualrly, full time. How do you make it work throughout the year? What do you do over the summer? Currently I have a part time job to ensure bills are paid but I quite like the idea of working as a full time, self employed tutor.

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm certainly not a full time tutor, but I have made tutoring a significant part of my income. It's true that it is seasonal, however I already have a waiting list of around 5 students waiting to fill the places of those who are leaving. I only have 4 students moving on out of the 7-8 I teach per week, so I have 4 spots available and those will be prioritised for those who will start their lessons over the summer. I find that parents do want some lessons over the summer - though maybe not as many as they might usually have - so that keeps things ticking over.

I do, however, have other streams of income. Working as a tutor means that I have time in the day to mark GCSE exams for my subject, and I can mark quite a lot and make a good income for the summer months.

I also have another stream of income from a cosmetics/skin care business I work with and that ensure I'm earning in the summer months too.

I still teach 3 days per week in a post-16 capacity for a training provider. As such, I do have a steady income coming in that isn't massive but covers the bare essentials.

I don't think I'd be able to survive on tutoring alone as it's too unreliable, especially if everyone choose to have their two week holiday in the same month!

wanet likes this.
  3. minceandquince

Thank you so much for your comments. Can I ask which subject you teach?

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Secondary English

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I tutor full-time, and look forward to having a nice long summer break, as I earn enough during the rest of the year. I tutor A-level maths, chemistry and physics, and even with students having to come to me I find I get as much work as I want to handle.

With schools less and less inclined to employ (expensive) experienced, good teachers the demand for tutors who really know their subject (often better than the student's school teacher) will only increase.

I imagine GCSE English is a high demand subject, so take the plunge, and you may well earn enough to be able to afford a nice long summer break.

Good Luck.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I tutor full time. GCSE science and A level biology. I've been doing it for ten years now. Coming in to the exam season I find I tutor about 30 hours a week. The last biology exam is today and I am absolutely shattered. I bank as much money as I can in my busy couple of months and take the summer off. My house is a mess, my freezer empty, my children feral. If I am to be super-professional and organised in September, I've a lot to do. I also sort out my lesson bank, make sure my past papers are in order, do my accounts, and briefly become a lady wot lunches until my own children break up from school.

QAAWyrd_Tuition likes this.
  7. minceandquince

Thanks for all the info, it's very helpful.

I currently work for three days at a FE college so I am hoping to full the other two days with tutoring work and maybe do that full time eventually. As well as GCSE English I have also taught ESOL so I can offer that too although I don't get too many request for that.

A potential challenge for me is that I live in a rural area so may not get as much work as a tutor in a more densely populated area, but we'll see.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You say tutoring is seasonal but that is not entirely true. I normally tutor from September to June and this year I will be starting again with one of my students in August.

9. theluckycat

theluckycat New commenter

Would agree, subjects and age ranges seem to vary in seasonal requirements. I tutor primary maths mostly, and I look to have holidays off to do things with my own family. Most of my primary customers are happy with this, however some want to continue over the holidays in order to prevent a slip back, when their children are already behind due to EAL or SEN for instance.

10. QAAWyrd_Tuition

QAAWyrd_Tuition New commenter

I'm hoping for ESL students over the summer from families where English isnt the first language so the students dont lose their English skills in the six weeks at home.

11. QAAWyrd_Tuition

QAAWyrd_Tuition New commenter

Anyone else really concerned that Schools have not invested in the new Specification textbooks, or that the publishers have divided the traditional subject textbooks into a) a Student handbook for lessons b) a student homework book and c) a practice book. The student really needs all three and the cost is probably equal to say the old Maths, Business or Ecnomics 'Bibles' like Hall and Raffo or Marcouse but is divided into three books only one for school to buy and two for parents to buy. Even Mr Marcouse has said in his intro that his latest Business Studies is more a reading book than a textbook.

Its a worry kids and parents just dont have details of what the students need.

12. lisajkent

lisajkent New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

13. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Blatant advertisement alert!

Feeling curious, I clicked the link for this "renowned" directory and did a basic search for my area. I wasn't surprised to see that there wasn't a single tutor registered. I live and work in a major UK city and teach an in demand core subject.

minceandquince likes this.
  14. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

What trauma? I do a job...they pay me. I do not find that traumatic

cwilson1983 likes this.
  15. lisajkent

lisajkent New commenter

Check whether the website is authentic or not. It should be a reputed directory as tutors register with the ones who are renowned for they can get tutor jobs easily. So, try doing that

16. cwilson1983

Sorry but your reply made little sense.
    I did check the website out and found it to be lacking. If a basic search for a tutor in a major city and for a core subject produces no results, I can't imagine many prospective clients would use it.
    Screenshot_20170711-110806.png

On that point, I think you should revise your understanding of the word, "reputed".

One is unlikely to "easily" get a job through a website with no registered tutors and therefore little to no traffic from prospective clients.

Attached Files:

17. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I did the same , i looked for French in Liverpool, it brought no results for secondary French

18. cwilson1983

I searched Liverpool for secondary English.

19. cwilson1983

I noticed you're peddling this directory on another thread under the thinly veiled pretence of offering career advice to a struggling trainee teacher:

https://community.tes.com/threads/struggling.759261/#post-12149662

wanet likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think you can do tuition all year around, just try to stack up shedloads of sessions from November to June, then slack off a bit over Summer. I'm a core subject. It takes a while getting used to the flurries and rapid swapovers of students followed by reduce demand numbers and needing tonreadvertise, but I do ok. I am starting to accept that I cannot earn well and keep my weekends all free AND have summer all off, as I have no longer got guaranteed income. Then again I only do three to five hours a day. Which can drop to two or one hours once a booked session of ten ends. Overall, I am steadily busy rather than utter,y dead tired exhausted. I seem bette rat focussing and thinking now because I am no longer being pulled in simultaneous and conflicting directions in a cruddy school. I prefer this working routine to part time tuition mixed with a part time teaching job. Long term, though, I would return to a school part time, it's just that, for now, tuition pays better and I need more free time for other stuff. But it is pretty antisocial, working from home. Not the eworst things by any means. That was my last long term school job which nearly killed me.