1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Scottish Education System - what's wrong with it ???

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gnulinux, May 17, 2015.

1. Too much focus on the wrong things and a major imbalance in the curriculum. There are more sex (not health just sex) outcomes at first level than reading outcomes.That cannot indicate a balanced curriculum.

Worryingly standardised summative tests across primaries 1,4 and 7 indicate the system will get worse along with the introduction of named persons which will increase the bureaucracy , thus making it even harder to spot those really in need whilst simultaneously breaking down the parents/ teacher relationship further. This next academic year isn't looking pretty!

2. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

So the new Higher Maths was too hard??? Aw - boo hoo!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34318232

Here is a real life maths question to ponder...

I went into a supermarket the other day and fancied some own-brand jaffa cakes. 60p for a box of 12. But, if I buy a box of 36, the price is £2.00. What should I do???

Show all working (if you must).

For an A grade, which supermarket was it???

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I hate to break it to you, but National 3 Lifeskills Mathematics is an ungraded course.

And yes, the new higher maths was too hard. A screw up was made in balancing the difficulty of the questions when the multiple choice section was replaced by extending the non-calculator paper.

4. gnulinux

The SNP led Scottish Government has made such a great job of running our so-called Education System that no one wants to be a teacher - 100's of teaching jobs remain unfilled and many teachers cannot wait to get out of teaching. Supply teachers have been treated like dirt. Our Exam system is run by people who are incompetent and have repeatedly and blatantly avoided accountability.

Meanwhile the curriculum is being degraded with the loss of subjects that are core to wealth production.

5. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Queue another rant about the decline of computing science

Maybe you just have to accept our pupils don't want to be sad geeks and crunch numbers all day. There are other opportunities apart from staring at computer screens

6. gnulinux

The fact of the matter is that Computing Science is being removed from the curriculum, almost systematically, north of the border, so our pupils are being denied a valuable qualification and opportunity. Computing Science is a core subject in a modern curriculum and can provide pupils with skills that represent high employability and the potential to earn loads of dosh!!! That SNP led Government are continually bleating on about closing the attainment gap between kids from rich v poor backgrounds. How about actually giving poor kids the 21st century skills to help make them richer. Computing Science skills are literally skills for life so what is their problem???

The jibe about "sad geeks crunching numbers all day" is pure ignorance. Why don't you sign up for some CPD on Computing Science so that your comments can at least be informed?

And while you are at it sign up for CPD on English - the word is "Cue" NOT "Queue" duh!!!

7. BillyBobJoe

You've posted so many rants on that theme that "queue" is just as appropriate.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  8. gnulinux

Since it looks like TaTa to Steel, how about Hello to Computing Science???

And teaching kids low level skills like Graphic Communication is a total waste of time - we need people who can build nuclear power stations, not draw a picture of one. At least we would not then have to ask China to build one for us!!!

https://fullfact.org/factchecks/india_uk_engineering_science_graduates-29183

“[Britain] produced 12,000 engineering graduates a year … India produces 1.2m engineering graduates a year. The Philippines produces more than us, so does Iran, so does Mexico. It’s not a sustainable situation.”

9. BillyBobJoe

Iran has a massive oil industry, Mexico and the Philippines have much larger (and much younger, which is important) populations than the UK and India has a notoriously corrupt HE system so I'd be surprised if as many as half of those engineering graduates are actually capable.

10. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

The number of engineering graduates will rapidly head towards zero if schools can't get teachers in STEM subjects (Computer Science included) at all, which is already a reality for many rural schools.

11. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

You have a brass neck criticising my standard of English when you read the sentences above with your shoddy abbreviations and excessive use of erotemes. Time to pop back under your bridge like a well behaved troll should.

Most people on here are sick of your "we must have computer science" and "anti-SNP" rants. Stand for election if you hate them so much, then you can bang your drum about coding or programming, that's if you can find anyone interested enough to listen.

And as for your invitation to try some CPD in computer science, I have a couple of teeth that I'd rather pull out without anaesthetic. I think most of our secondary pupils feel the same way. We all don't need to learn coding, just as we all don't need to understand how to plaster a wall or service a car.

12. gnulinux

Now now ... the truth hurts - obviously!!! Since when were you elected to speak for most people on here??? Or most of our secondary pupils for that matter??? If you all want a job then you all could do worse than learn coding, plastering or car servicing!!!

13. gnulinux

Anyone read this, and/or the associated OECD report?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35101835

Report commissioned by the Scottish Government - therefore lacks credibility it could be said.

Report is repetitive and exceedingly boring to read. Curriculum is based around 'capacities' and 'learning' (about learning) rather than subjects. That 'mantra' appears to be the justification for getting rid of certain subjects in our schools. The end result is that pupils will leave school ill prepared for the world of work.

14. gnulinux

Now read this ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ols_to_address_Scotland_s_digital_skills_gap/

So, the penny has dropped at last. Our schoolchildren need to, and indeed must, be taught how to program computers. What have I been saying here for years???

...A report by national schools body Education Scotland said: “In too many schools, computing science has diminished in popularity. The subject can too easily become a sterile and functional experience, lacking in creativity.”...

Computing Science has been largely killed off as a bi-product of Faculties - a move instigated by Local Authorities supposedly to facilitate CfE (a lie), but actually to save money, and backed by bodies such as Education Scotland. So, Computing Science has NOT diminished in popularity - pupils have been denied the opportunity to take it.

What is blatantly obvious is that Scottish Education has become increasingly out of step with that south of the border where there is already a huge push to get rid of the pointless ICT and replace it with Computer Science and programming skills.

15. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

BigJimmy, when I read all that I want to cry or shout with rage. You have my sympathy in dealing with that garbage. Worst bit is you could be doing something useful instead of wasting your precious time and energy. Best of luck.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. beatboy

beatboy New commenter

Such as flippin burgers, working in a call centre,or a charity shop for no wage.
    By the way what is it you think that pupils actually do at nights. Mobile phones/tablets/internet/gaming.
    The world REVOLVES around computers. Get real !

17. beatboy

beatboy New commenter

What, like working for the SNP, kidding on your Scottish, killing off 4500 teaching jobs, and letting the neo-liberal devils in our schools turn education into a market place of winners and losers.

18. beatboy

beatboy New commenter

Under the guise of computing not being popular and business studies turning all into great wealth creators it's really just very unsubtle reduction of costs and manipulation of league tables. Last one out turn off the computers.

19. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

For anyone who wants to get a good idea of what has gone wrong they should look at the Education Scotland web site and read the report it has published on how it proposes to tackle the problem of workload. There you will find endless pages -with links to other "essential" documents - written in an impenetrable jargon and saying virtually nothing. The people in charge are clearly completely lost, unable to point not a way out of the bureaucratic jungle they have created. They cannot provide us with clear guidance because they cannot define the problem themselves nor describe exactly what measure are needed to solve it. This is, in part, a language problem for they talk in vague generalities and use words and phrases which have been emptied of meaning but which give the impression of profundity. This is the result of allowing management gurus to infest the world of education. They have bamboozled everyone with their empty rhetoric and silenced critics by always having at hand a glib, ready-made buzz word. I predict nothing will change except that the chaos will deepen and spread. Can you get a bet on a Betfred on how long CfE will last?

brothermunro and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

Nicola Sturgeon did say that she wanted to be judged on education for the 2021 Scottish elections.