1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The school saga part 2...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, May 7, 2012.

1. For anyone still interested...(and please do not turn this into another scrap).
    After measures were put in place to assess and control behaviour, we have now decided we are going to look for another school, a.s.a.p.
    My son has stuck to EVERY single measure imposed by the school, but each time they come up with something new and it is just no longer tolerable.
    Recent events:
    1) Downmarked (again) in English - my ex, who is not fluent, saw the test first and was sure my son was right. He passed it on to me. The teacher is very definitely in the wrong. My son's English was correct. My request for an appointment to discuss has been declined.
    2) Detention for not having swimming "equipment" with him. This turned out to be a lack of shampoo - however son had a 3-in-1 shower lotion with him (as we check his bag).
    3) Detention for not handing in homework that was never set (confirmed by other parents).
    4) Being removed into a remedial German group, despite having a straight grade 2 mark in all tests.
    5) Detention for leaving the grounds at lunch time, although this is allowed with a parental letter (which has been in place since August 2010 and never revoked)

So those of you who found my son's comments way OTT (and his comments were not appropriate for someone of his age towards a teacher, for which he is still being punished at home) - I hope you now see why my son is totally frustrated by a bunch of teachers who for some reason are not encouraging him to love school, but to hate it.
    And I, as a parent, am fully frustrated with the school for not once, in any way, making contact with us and for coming up with punishments which are in no way deserved, without consulting us any way at all.
    We have reported the school to the local authority.

2. sounds like they are out to prove that it isn't the right school for him and/or provoke him into doing something which will seal his fate. I think you are right to take him elsewhere.

3. Great pedagogy!
    I am really disgusted. We are not the only parents "at war" with the school, btw.
    We have since found out that a certain group has been targeted - we can't quite work out what the linking factor is.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Moving school is a big decision. I did it with my youngest two and it was the best decision ever although I wasn't sure at the time that it would work.
    It certainly sounds like your son is being picked on by the teacher. No wonder he lost his temper with her.
    Hopefully, he'll get on better in his new school. I wish him luck.

5. Tell him to smile and be very polite. It always pizzes them off. How unnecessary and frustrating for you though.

6. I don't understand why he is being picked on by the school - is it because of his English roots? You have totally done the right thing, both in the first instance to punish him and now to report them and move his schooling. Keep us posted CQ and (hug).

7. I hope so too. We have thought long and hard about it. We didn't just want to move him to avoid problems, if you can follow me, but these problems are just not going to be resolved.
    He will really miss his music teacher, who has supported him throughout, but that cannot be a reason to keep him at this school.
    And of course, he will have to make new friends. It breaks my heart.
    But we can't do this to him anymore. He is so bright and motivated normally (albeit it a bit of a dreamer) - I hate to see him becoming so disillusioned and distrusting.
    And he is right. All the time he has been right.
    That is what hurts. It hurts me to punish him.

8. We honestly don't know. Obviously our face doesn't fit.

9. Well hopefully the local authority will do something.

10. When the relationship between both you and your son with the school has broken down, you are best to move him elsewhere. It doesn't mean it will all be plain sailing when you do - some children are not easily compatible with the whole school set up. My son was like that. Year six was hell, at the end of primary, and with hindsight we should have moved him. Secondary school wasn't all plain sailing either, so it isn't always all the school's fault. He respected certain teachers and worked hard for them, but was a pain in other lessons. The French teacher refused to teach him in Y11, but he still amazingly managed a B. He only used a fraction of his intelligence and refused to go on to University, even though he had enough points to do so. Now he is a high flier in his chosen career and a super husband and father. It is always difficult to be critical when you are a teacher yourself, but your relationship with your son is for life, and with the school for a short time.

11. Thanks for that.
    Son is no angel, I would never claim that.
    However, we have looked at this for a long while, and he really is being treated unfairly.
    The relationship with the school cannot really be restored. I don't trust them!
    He will work well for teachers who he respects - he has unfortunately lost a lot of respect for some of them (and so have we) - this cannot be kitted.
    And when he hates you - he won't do ANYTHING for you (he is now only doing it because we have told him he MUST, otherwise no computer forever - which is not a way of dealing with things longterm).
    I cannot ask him to respect people who have abused his trust. I won't.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Whatever you do, don't mention the war!

13. I think you should teach him to be a bit more mature. He won't do ANYTHING for you - oh well, let's hope he adjusts his attitude somewhat before he enters the real world out there.

14. What war?
    Oh, THAT war...[​IMG]

15. He is 12. I think a learning curve is not over by then, don't you? You also seem to have conventiently ignored the part I mentioned about misuse of trust placed.
    Besides, if I hate you, I won't work for you either. I resign.
    This, I would like to point out, is not something I am teaching my son - but I can understand him.

16. You know, right at the start, I requested this not to be turned into another scrap.
    Almost everyone was nice enough to take that into consideration.
    So write away, rose, my love.
    Have your wee *** posts.
    You will understand that I will not rise to them. You have had one reply - I consider the space I fart into much more worthy of debate than any comment you make [​IMG]

17. So vulgar.

18. He's only 12! That's even more concerning. I'd be worried if a child of mine was showing his horns at such an age. I thought you were talking about a teenager with attitude.

19. But you don't have one.
    Nor do you seem to understand children. Or the onset of puberty. Or anything really.
    Nightie night. Off for your ovaltine and flannel nightie xxx

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bin grade von Urlaub gekommen, aber ich wuensche Sie und Ihren Sohn viel, viel Glueck mit der neuen Schule.