1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The School Data Dashboard???

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jellandy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. What we need is some sort of regional administrative group (maybe organised by county?) which collects all the Government info and communicates it to schools. As is would be local I suggest we call it a 'Local Authority' or LA for short.

2. Now there's a new and exciting idea..................

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Bear in mind that headteachers, Ofsted inspectors and education professionals are not Ofsted's intended audience for the dashboard. Their target audience is parents and governors. And for governors the idea is that it prompts governors to ask questions and then dig deeper into more detailed data eg RAISEOnline.

4. Lots of errors on the dashboard apparently.
    Ofsted are hurrying to resolve the problems. They have undertaken to say when the issues are ironed out and we can all be certain the data about quintile positions is correct.
    What is also a concern is the methodology for the similar schools calculation. At KS2 the data is produced by selecting 110 schools with a PA level as close as is possible to the school in question. At KS4 it is even fewer schools. These are then split into the quintiles. Given that there are over 20,000 school in England this is a very small sample to use! If all schools in a group have very similar results, 96 - 100%L4, then a school with 96% will be in the bottom quintile. Of course the Dashboard does not explain what the actual range is, funny that.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It also occurred to me that doing this quintile business is ultimately farcical, given that many schools - no matter how hard they try - will fall into the bottom two quintiles, because if you rank 100 schools in this way, forty of them HAVE to be in the bottom two quintles.

It's like ranking the top 100 richest people in the world - forty of them will be in the bottom two quintlies, despite still being fabulously rich.

6. But like the 100 richest people, the media will love chasing down those schools and shaming them, when it could be for nowt!
    I'm looking forwards to our bone idle local paper hack coming up with loads of drivel and "Sun Style" headlines over this.......
    Let me see......"Estate Schools Shocking !" Ofsted inspection findings proved wrong by own data...The........demands these schools be placed in special measures now....etc

7. Zeus-ish

Zeus-ish New commenter

First time ever the Grammars in my area have been lower than us!! I've heard they are organising a legal challenge to the methodology.

8. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

So far I have cried over ours as our dear little year 2s worked their socks off last year but they are some of life's biggest strugglers in oh so many ways - why don't we just stamp the word failure on their heads and have done with it. I have also noseyed at my own child's school, and unsurprisingly in a wealthy, well fed, fully supported by home area their results look somewhat different. Only good news is we beat them hands down on attendance - woohoo :) Off to polish the attendance trophy and get the certificates out.

9. Rott Weiler

Were they Special Schools? They aren't listed, only mainstream.
    Otherwise does this explain it?
    Which schools are dashboards available for?
    The School data dashboard publishes data for maintained primary and secondary schools which are open at the time of publication and for which data exist. Academies are publicly-funded independent schools that benefit from greater freedom to innovate and raise standards. Academy converters are maintained schools which have converted to academies. Where a school has converted to become an academy, the data for the school prior to conversion is linked to the new academy data and displayed on the dashboard. For schools that have recently closed, or are in the process of closing, data will be available until the school is removed from the eligible schools list and the dashboard is updated. Data concerning these schools are available from the Department for Education performance tables. For new schools, which do not have data for a full academic year, no dashboards are available.

10. Or not......as the case may be!

11. Rott Weiler

Just to make it clear that's a quote from my post but not my personal opinion! I just copied and pasted what Ofsted said.

12. Sorry Rott,
    I should have made that clear in my quote, that I was quoting from a quote you were quoting[​IMG]....from!

13. Zeus-ish

Zeus-ish New commenter

So now the Dashboard has changed! The leading ASCL data chap is head of a Grammar school that just happens to have moved its quintile up to the top 20% from the middle or 2nd quintile! Anyone else smell a bit of a rat?!?

14. I found out about dashboard on twitter as well. Don't like our dashboard!!!!!!!
    However, thank heavens for Twitter and all the information it gives us