1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The ScareShare/Nerve/Anxiety Dump (You're not going mad!)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lilyflynn, Nov 17, 2015.

1. lilyflynn

lilyflynn New commenter

It seems to me a lot of the stress we suffer comes from... to sweep over a huge generalisation... the unknown. And it's scary.

I thought I'd start a thread to share things which unnerve you about your school - management, new policies, gossiping...

I'll start: I'm scared I will lose my position because my reputation has been damaged by false accusations.
    I'm scared to have a personal life or share things I enjoy at work because I don't want to seem like I am not working hard enough, or I am not committed.

2. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

I'm scared that I actually feel guilty about resting/watching TV for a bit when I get home. I am constantly thinking about all the work that needs doing...

3. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

I'm scared that I will never again know what it feels like to be rested or energetic. Aches, anxiety and weariness - can't remember the last time they were absent.

4. drek

drek Star commenter

I'm scared about the fact that the whole PRP rigmarole seems to have turned into endless BTEC style coursework evidence for teaching staff, where nqts or teach firsts are using their first two years of teaching evidence, to earn their 'masters' degrees in education, therefore the research informing dfe about teaching turns out to be a very one sided if not lopsided view of teaching.
    And everyone else seems to be producing huge portfolios of absolute rubbish as well, almost as if actual teaching is some sort nuisance done by low level people who need to be trained and feedback to every second of every day, who then have to go home and spend hours on doing the the real business of 'evidence gathering' to prove our worth to SLT.

Amylicorice and lanokia like this.
  5. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

I'm scared that I'll be the next victim of 'the lies'.
    I'm scared I'll be the next one who is stabbed in the back to save someone else's skin.
    I'm scared for my class...when I leave who will take care of them PROPERLY...(the last job we advertised we had no applicants...then second time only one)
    I'm scared that the state of the education system will not improve.
    I'm scared I'll not get a new job in teaching...I really do love it 9-4!
    Oh my, there are so many things...

I've realised that what REALLY scares me is that I said to my husband 'we can't have children because of my job...I won't be able to be proper mum doing this job.' I mean, really? What ever am I thinking?

lanokia, Yoda- and petenewton like this.
  6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

When you think like this, it is time to leave.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Leave now. Run for the hills and don't look back.

8. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I'm scared that capability is edging closer.
    I'm scared because I don't know what else I can do. Whatever I do, something is wrong.
    I'm scared because I'm too expensive to get another job, yet I can afford a pay cut (we are only just financially surviving).
    I'm scared because I feel trapped, my hands are tied and the pressure is increasing.
    I'm scared that I'll collapse.

lanokia and Katierobertson like this.
  9. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I'm scared of the behaviour that 4 or 5 of the children in my class of 30 display. They are aggressive, rude, occasionally violent, unpredictable. I'm scared that one day one of them will push me to the edge and I'll say something I'll regret. Teaching them is soul-destroying.

And I'm scared of the behaviour of many of the parents of children in my class as well. They are hysterical, short-fused, irrational, immature and some are bullies, determined to find a way to 'get' me.

I have 23 more days to go in this hell-hole before I leave forever and I'm scared that I'll snap before the end.

Yoda- and petenewton like this.
  10. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

For God's sake go to your doctor and get signed off ill. Nobody should have to put up with this.

Yoda- and notsonorthernlass like this.
  11. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

I am scared that when I walk out, the next victim of workplace bullying will commit suicide.

petenewton likes this.
  12. 19sunflower

19sunflower New commenter

I can relateto this sooo much. I need help

thethiefoftime likes this.
  13. whodareswins

whodareswins New commenter

I'm scared that I will never get rid of the anger, sadness, hurt, disappointment,guilt,bitterness etc from being bullied, harassed,intimidated, unsupported, unprotected and feeling that there was no other choice but to leave..........

14. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

It's sad what teachers have to put up with these days. I can empathise and just wanted to share a quote that helped me in dark times....

“There is the mud, and there is the lotus that grows out of the mud. We need the mud in order to make the lotus.” - Thich Naht Hahn

Things can get better.

Best wishes

fleur46, fishtoe and petenewton like this.
  15. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I'm scared that I won't do well in my new job I'm starting in January
    I'm scared we can't afford Christmas as I'm on cover supervisor supply rate
    I'm scared that I'll drown under a sea of marking next term (changing to English from creative arts) and I won't have any support
    I'm scared my new school will turn out like my last school
    I'm scared I won't get any support and everyone will be into the swing of the year already and I'll still be finding my feet

petenewton likes this.
  16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I'm sure you must have worked /still work at my previous school.

What is it with these massive appraisal files. What really is the point of them? Why do you need to provide the evidence? If SLT are worth anything they'll know what you do.

Must admit that once I knew I was going I handed a very thin file in. Maybe I should back and ask for it as no doubt the 'letters' are going out to staff threatening them with capability and support plans to 'help them improve'.

17. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I'm scared that one day I will need to write a post like the people her. At the moment I am in one if the (apparently) few schools where I am left to do my job.

However, the word academy was mentioned today.... The days are numbered!

18. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Scared of what thing will be picked up by the next book scrutiny, learning walk, observation, pupil interviews, planning scrutiny, coordinator monitoring, mocksted. Feel I'm constantly picking up socks from a laundry pile and every time I bend down to pick it up, i drop another one. Drowning in bloody marking - between 60-120 per day. Scared that this is now the norm and worst is still to come. Scared the unions aren't doing enough. Scared for the state education will be in when all the teachers with experience and integrity have been driven out of the job because they're too expensive or dare to challenge what is happening. Not scared about planning my exit from what has become a toxic health threatening profession.

Yoda- and Compassman like this.
  19. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

Hopefully this will be true about education. Out of this time will grow a better time to be a teacher.

indusant likes this.
  20. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Sheffield STAT has turned assessment into an absolute nightmare. The way we do EVERYTHING in the school had changed and I don't have time to initiate the changes I'm being asked to mate. I'm firefighting all the time and I have a disruptive child who said me of all my patience and energy. I'm upping my anti depressants in order to stay above water.