1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The sample AQA language exam (H)

Discussion in 'English' started by tophut22, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Anyone used this? We gave it as a mock. Terrible. The questions and texts are poor, especially questions for the non-fiction section. Poor results - very. Hope it isn't a sign of things to come. Perhaps they just threw it together to give teachers an idea of what the exam would look like...Also, 2 1/4 hours proving to be a long time, both for concentration and time management purposes. Long writing task should be first in section 2.

2. Anyone used this? We gave it as a mock. Terrible. The questions and texts are poor, especially questions for the non-fiction section. Poor results - very. Hope it isn't a sign of things to come. Perhaps they just threw it together to give teachers an idea of what the exam would look like...Also, 2 1/4 hours proving to be a long time, both for concentration and time management purposes. Long writing task should be first in section 2.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Are you entering your Yr 10s in June?

4. No. In January of Y11. Toying with idea of current Y9s doing Lit exam in June of Y10.Just given to Y10 as and end of Y10 exam kind of thing. Also not pleased that though question 2 on higher paper is supposed to test analysis of presentation etc, the mark scheme requires that they analyse language within a headline for half of the available marks - misleading/ contradictory/ unexpected for pupils.Also very prescriptive and narrow. Are you entering Y10 in June?

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Nope. But we're doing English over 2 years.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

Oh dear. We're going to use this as our Y10 exam a few weeks from now. I looked at it yesterday and wasn't very taken with it.
    It does actually say 2 hours. But I think that will still prove rather a long time for my fidgety set 2. We'll see...

7. AQA increased the time for this exam by 15 mins to give more reading time. Or so I'm told. It didn't help that text 3 was an extract from The Bookseller Of Kabul, a factual text written in the style of a novel, with a third person narrative. Hardly standard non-fiction.