1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Samaritans

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 19, 2016.

1. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

I've definitely had that "got to get out of here" impulse. I feel for you. I hope you have some support somewhere. Are you being treated for stress/depression?

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

@anglemeasurer don't worry about not knowing what to say - you can say that to them - they are trained to deal with all sorts of situations, though I know they can get very busy. A trip to the GP might be a good idea, if you haven't been already. It sounds like things feel pretty dark at the moment but they can improve, day at a time.

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I agree a trip to the gp- please look after yourself. Help is out there, don’t worry about having the right words. Just get yourself some help ASAP. Sending very kind thoughts.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@anglemeasurer, sorry to hear about this rough patch. The Samaritans do not expect you to explain yourself nor to account for your current situation. If you feel you need to tell them why you are calling then tell them you were sent by a fan of theirs and a friend of yours who felt you needed to talk with people who did not know you. Here's the number, use it now or put it in your pocket and use it soon: 116 123 (UK & ROI). Your call doesn't have to be particularly long, sensible or your only call.

Advice from one Maths teacher to another, don't expect all problems to be well-defined and to have exact solutions.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I do not wish to diminish other people's experience with their GP but the point of the Samaritans is anonymous conversation & positive regard. It truly can work wonders. It's good to see people trying to be helpful but let's not folk-diagnose people on this thread.

pepper5, lanokia and thekillers1 like this.
  6. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

They're there for you when you're just finding things are tough and getting you down. You don't need to be feeling you want to end it all.

pepper5 and thekillers1 like this.
  7. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

Went for counselling a couple of years back which was arranged by my GP. Hey thankfully it coincided with a NUT strike day, so made full use of this.

Too many people in the staff room don't listen to others. It takes skill just to shut up and listen to others...and then you find people seek you out. That's a privilege to know you are valued.

I did share a similar experience of considering that I should finish it all one day whilst on bus duty and the recipient of my news shared that they had considered going to the top of the house and launching themselves out of a top most window.

We go through some really low times as teachers, its a very tough, pressurized lifestyle. Just loosing some long time teachers in my school who are quitting teaching altogether and good God its tempting...if I wasn't the main bread winner...maybe after I've paid for the bathroom refit...

Remember- keep talking...

8. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

I find anxiety and worry is contagious in the staff room - and that's based on teaching for many decades.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Rang tonight .

Brilliant

Vince_Ulam and pepper5 like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yes indeed! Four former colleagues now out on sick and all excellent teachers; very unlikely to ever return to the classroom. Now, Michael and Sarah Gove...will you be ordering your new and utterly unnecessary designer Oka console table for £1840 in the polished grass, or will it be the marble one at a cool £2450? This is about the sum total of THEIR flicking problems. Meanwhile, teachers continue to suffer and the unions do not organise a general strike,