1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Samaritans

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 19, 2016.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I wonder where @Vince_Ulam is these days. I just worry in case he had to use the Samaritans himself and that is why he recommended them. I haven't seen him post for a while.

pepper5 and fishtoe like this.
  2. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

Hope they are OK

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

slingshotsally and pepper5 like this.
  4. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Good to see you @Vince_Ulam Haven't seen you on here for a while. You were recommending the Samaritans, which was worrying.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

It is a sad irony that when our lives are in a place where we most need to talk about it, we feel unable to, too down, like our problems are insurmountable and/or too ashamed to discuss them. Often talking is the first real step out of the mess that Life can land the best of us in.

7. Stuckatups1

Stuckatups1 New commenter

Sad to say I'd never use them now, having had a bad experience a few years back - phoned them up whilst I was going through a very bad time and the woman I spoke to was very unhelpful and unprofessional. Yes, I know they're volunteers, but when I explained my situation, all I got was "Well, what do you expect me to do about it? Pull yourself together and deal with it yourself."
    I attempted suicide and ended up on a psychiatric ward for a few weeks.
    Luckily, I made a full recovery, but I've never forgotten that person.

8. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

So sorry to read this Stuckatups1. To become a Samaritan volunteers undergo a rigours application process and lengthy training.

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  9. -Sarah-

-Sarah- New commenter

I emailed Samaritans twice when I was feeling suicidal and never got a reply.

lilachardy likes this.
  10. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

Sorry to hear this Sarah - I've now done my training for Samaritans and know that each shift we are required to check and respond to emails that are waiting. They usually get a reply the same day.

11. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Good idea

12. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

I have used the Samaritans they are 100 percent confidential - even if they have immediate concerns about you unless you want them to break your confidentiality. Whereas, counselling etc will break your confidentiality if they think you are in immediate danger. Samaritans is a really great 24/7 service that has saved my life at points. Would definitely recommend it. You don't have to be going through something major you can start by telling them small things before they get to that BIG point.

Stay strong guys and most importantly true to yourselves :)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. Teacher-in-Training42

I've never tried the email version. Would they see the email address though?

14. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

I think you can even arrange to pop in for a face-to-face (although not many do, it is an option).

15. Teacher-in-Training42

Yeah you can do this some education settings like universities and schools have regular 1-1 sessions with a smaritan in a confidential place