1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Samaritans

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Anyone reading this, whether you're having a rough time or not, jot down the number of the Samaritans and keep it somewhere memorable because you never know when you might need it: 116 123 (UK & ROI).

@TES_Rosaline, please consider pinning this thread. Thank you.

2. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

116 123 (UK & ROI).

For emphasis

3. PGat

PGat New commenter

Once when I was in a dark place when teaching I used the Samaritans. Just having someone to talk to who listens without passing judgement or giving advice kept me going. The first call is hard to make but it is surprisingly easy after that. I can't thank them enough. If you are ever very low don't be afraid or embarrassed to make that call.

4. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

Better than Teacher Support Network for instant and anonymous chat.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Yep, and you can talk to them about anything at all.

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I lost two close relatives in the same year, career all over the place, rubbish health and surrounded by bellends. Yes, 2015 was tasty. I made one call to these guys and the friendly chap I spoke to actually got me laughing. We shared the same black humour. Sometimes you need that vindication from a total stranger that life is indeed utterly abysmal at times, it is unfair...and yet...worth it.

8. nervousned

Bump (and please sticky TES)

9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Essential information, but how sad that this is necessary.
    On second thoughts, how disgusting that this is necessary.

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

11. nervousned

Thank you Vince for writing it

12. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Fantastic idea, wonderful responses too.

What a sad reflection on the morale of our profession! I would really like to know how many people involved in the education service have called this charity phone line.

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

That would be another thread!! You have to laugh, you really have to...

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Like this idea...

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  15. y4me

y4me New commenter

I have used them - never thought I would ever need to at one time, but things got so on top of me a couple of years ago, that I just needed an impartial ear!

install and stonerose like this.
  16. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome @Vince_Ulam. Thank you for your useful and helpful suggestion.

17. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Sometimes when you feel really down about something or usually someone who has broken your heart, you feel so alone and imagine that nobody else has to go through this. You sometimes think that you've done something to deserve what has happened - and I'll bet you that if you spoke to everyone you met walking down your road, you'd find that almost nobody has gone through life and not needed the love and understanding of a friend. When you get over it you will have it in your heart to love, care and at least understand other people who are going through the same things. Women often will talk to each other and support each other but I've found that men often clamp shut and they suffer far more because of doing this. Looking outwards with love, and listening rather than speaking, is something we should all do more often in life. The Samaritans have these very people volunteering to listen and help. They're truly wonderful people.

18. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

Ginger Wildheart and Ryan Hamilton have collaborated on a charity single, which can be pledged for on the roundrecords website. All money goes to the Samaritans.
    2 fabulous artists who both speak openly about their depression and mental health. Pop Rock at its finest. If you find the song you will see why I can't post a link!

install likes this.
  19. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

Doing m training now - when asked what had influenced me I wanted to say this pinned post!!

20. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

You can email them too

jo@samaritans.org

Your name doesn't go through - they just get an email from 'a contact'

thekillers likes this.