1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Russians on holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've just returned from a week in Tunisia with my daughter and have some interesting observations about the Russians on holiday.
    Our hotel was at least 70% occupied by Russians. Interesting lot. They come on holiday in entire tribes and stay around a month.....yes, a whole month.
    Now, if you think the Germans (apologies to any teutonic TESSERS) are the ones who get up early and bag the sunbeds then you haven't met the Russians! They have an even better tactic. They stay up until 2am in the late bar, swigging vodka, then bag their sunbeds for the next day at around 2.30am before going to bed. Worse than that, the hotel also had a private beach so the Russians would bag their sunbeds by the pool, then go and bag another load on the beach, so they could swap between beach and pool as they wished the next day.
    It gets worse. Because they've been on the voddie until the wee small hours they very often didn't make it to their sunbeds the next day. One day a whole row of 'bagged' sunbeds in the best position on the beach didn't get sat on once!
    When they queue for food or a drink, one person stays in the queue, then as they get to be served their entire family of 3 generations joins the queue and you find yourself behind not one, but at least a dozen Russians! Grrrrr...........
    The staff at the hotel and tour guides weren't particularly impressed either. It appears the Russians book all inclusive, drink and eat the hotels out of business, don't tip and won't spend any money in the shops! All very odd to me.
    They were also very rude, pushing in and generally dominating everything around us.
    They also have a strange 'thing' with their swimwear....well the ladies anyway. The women all give themselves a strange self-inflicted 'wedgie' with their bikini bottoms, resulting in a look that resembled their bottoms being very hungry and gobbling up their bikini bottoms. Kind of like a thong that isn't one! The young girls then spend the whole time standing up and stroking their bottoms for all to see. Even scarier are the older women, and I'm talking 60+ who are, on average, a size 18-20 and these too wear itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny bikinis with a wedgie [​IMG]
    Cutural diference or what?
    Anyway, the staff were always very delighted to serve us and speak to us once they found out we were English!

2. Time to be assertive, methinks ... or stop complaining. Of course the staff loved you knowing that you were English,you were happy to conform ad be nice. Did you get what you wanted though?

3. BelleDuJour

I wasn't complaining.....merely observing. Also I have no problem with the staff liking me for being nice, manners cost nothing and for sure, we got better service for being, as you put it, 'nice'! Conform isn't something relevant in this context.
    Did I get what I wanted? Yes. A nice week in the sun thank you! [​IMG]

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's not only the Russians and the Germans who hog the sun loungers.
    My only close experience of Russian tourists was while on holiday in Bangkok, where I was physically pushed out of the way in a Buddhist temple by a Russian who wanted to take a photo.
    Living in a toursit hot-spot, my only real gripe is with large groups of french teenagers on school trips. They have zero spatial awareness and hog the entire pavement. Mind you, they're not as bad as the natives who fill up the pavement outside pubs so that you're forced onto the road to get past them. With that last group I've adopted aggressive tactics. Since I'm obviously invisible, I just barge straight through them. Difficult, since I'm really quite polite.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Whereas the English on holiday all wear football tops and nylon tracksuits then spend the holiday ****** as farts and stabbing or shagging each other.
    Scots are all a blue-ish shade of white when they arrive then get hopelessly burnt on the first day as a result of sleeping off their hangovers on the beach.
    Or are those just stereotypes?
    [​IMG]

6. No, Russians are neanderthal bast*rds. They killed my grandmother and two uncles.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Could be, seren, just could be.
    We all know what wholesale contempt or hatred can lead to.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't go on holiday much....but when I did I was always an early riser and was thus one of the first to be out on the terrace and coincidentally finding the best sun-lounger.....it had nothing to do with my being part German!
    Where I live now, on the East Coast, there are a lot of tourists. For me, the worst have to be the Americans. With one breath they are gushing about how much they just love this quaint little old English fishing village, and with the next they are moaning about how they can't get anything here like it is 'at home'. And they are so loud! Yes, there are probably some more polite, less obnoxious, quieter American tourists, but the other kind seem to go out of the way to make their presence known.
    And the Russians I have met have all been charming.

9. Germans tend to be early risers [​IMG]
    No idea about the Russians - although my boss was recently on holiday and said they piled their plates up at the buffet as if they were never going to see food again for a lifetime.
    I have a Russian colleague - I shall ask her tomorrow if she strokes her bottom a lot [​IMG]

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky is currently in buffet heaven land. I can guaranteee that he will beat all comers to the last tasty morsel of whatever is on offer.

But he'll do it nicely, of course. Me, it'd be elbows.

11. BelleDuJour

There were no Americans where we were in Tunisia, and no British lager louts. Some very nice Swedish people. No blue and white people so I guess no Scots there either Seren (lol!).
    When I was in Mauritius last year there were some Russians, and they were very polite. But they were also very wealthy (yes, I know, wealth does not necessarily equate to manners). I suspect they were not Russia's 'nouveau riche' but wealthy over generations. I've also met Russians in Dubai, again, more of the oligarch than new money (although Roman Abranovich was dining on the table next to me. Not sure which he is!). The Russians in Tunisia were 'new money' and like new money the world over, they really don't behave very well.

12. BelleDuJour

Yes...they do just that CQ. Piled high enough to feed a family of refugees for 10 years!

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have 3 Russian girls in my class!! I'll ask them tomorrow!

14. Perhaps best not to ask them if they stroke their bottoms!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It may be a muscle thing.

16. BelleDuJour

The bottom stroking was quite odd. I remember in my youth (when size 6-8!)I would wear a thong on the beach but only.....ONLY....to lie down in. If I got up for any reason (swim, drink....whatever) I'd slip a bikini bottom over my thong.
    These girls give themselves a wedgie, so they end up with a bit of dental floss between their cheeks, and just stand there, stroking and preening for all to see. Wierd.....just plain wierd (and vain too)

17. My friend has a Russian wife (a neo rich one, Daddy has "connections".......if you follow me).
    I call her the painted doll - like those doll things you stick inside one another. Always perfect. Won't smile, because it could cause wrinkles or crack her make-up. We went to a Christmas Party together and she would have made grumpy Scrooge look like the life and soul of the party.
    She drives him mad too. She now wants a Versace bathroom.
    I really do not know why they are still together (probably as they have a child and Dadddy is...influential).

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Belle, you're not half a snob.

19. When we went to Florida, some Americans would put their towels on the beds around the pool (in the shade) before breakfast, then booger off to the theme parks for the morning and arrive after lunch! Some people just moved their beds a little closer to the automatic sprinklers... oops [​IMG]

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Belle check your dictionary for a definition of the word oligarch.