1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rum Non-Markers of the Posh School world.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by speechcompanyinfo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

It would be about ten years ago now, when I did two months supply at a very posh school for an eye-wateringly large daily rate. (Got it via word of mouth).
    The kids were great and the facilities were excellent, but I had a conversation that went like this...
    "Do you think we could have our exercise books back?"
    "Of course, yes, when did you hand them in to be marked?"
    The entire class cried out "NOVEMBER".....
    This was late May..... Wowza
    So I said, "No problem... I'll get them back to you by the end of the week"
    Little voice said, "Can you find them?"
    "Yesssss " I said with the supply teacher smile of cheerful optimism, and got them on task quickly.

The staff at the posh school were very unfriendly, but isn't that always the way? Do supply at a challenging school and everyone is really nice.... but there's a ying to the yang... and hearing about the posh school's staff members plans to walk up Snowdon for the fifteenth time, gets a little weary, when you just wish she'd tell you some practical details.
    Where were the exercise books that were handed in .. back in November.
    We had a little search around. I could see why she was enthusiastic about Snowdon, cos there was a mountain of un marked books in the store cupboard,.
    "Root around and get the red ones out.... that's the four different classes... I think"..
    And leaving me to "root", she went back to her Earl Grey and tut tutting with other teachers...
    I "rooted" 80 unmarked books and put them in a box... without asking permission to use the box.... which turned out to be a problem.. So I asked permission to use the box.
    "So are you going to actually mark them then?"
    I did the supply teacher grin and said, "Oh.. you know.. la di dah.. might as well... " and staggered out with box.
    I went to the office that I shared with a teacher who was suffering from "commuter tourettes syndrome". She had a long commute to the school and it made her twitchy an apt to blurt. I'd be teaching a class, and she'd rush in, blurt and rush out again, sometimes wearing a black school master's gown from the 1950s.
    She'd be ok by break, but I ended up taking over her duties to see if this would help with the rushing and blurting problem, and indeed, by lunch time she was usually all right, but very paranoid.
    As I started to mark eighty books she said, "Why aren't you chatty?"...
    I said "I'm marking books - sorry - trying to concentrate"
    She hissed.
    Commuting does strange things to people, but the appearance of the supply teacher marking books was so abhorrent that she said "Ah.. I see.... I see what you're doing... You're marking books.. that's what you're doing..."
    Then she twitched a bit....
    That was her pattern. Blurt and twitch.
    Another teacher walked into our room, watched me marking books and went "Some People".... (meaning me) and then wandered out again.
    I desperately wanted to ask if marking books was not a "thing" in the private sector, but didn't dare.
    Ah well
    They were a rum bunch.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

First ever supply gig I had myself and the other supply decided that we should mark some books. We sat at a communal table and started working through the piles. The academy CEO decided to pay the school a visit that day (we didn't know/were not told) Suddenly a bloke in an expensive suit arrives with other besuited individuals and most of the school's SMT trailing behind. "What are you doing"? he asked (rather abruptly I thought). "Marking we replied, take a seat and I'll show you how to do it" He Harrumphed and marched off. We got daggers from the SMT at the back! Afterwards we asked who he was and were told. ****!

3. speechcompanyinfo

That's really funny !

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

My experience of private schools has been pretty bleak. No chairs in the staff room, standing room only. cheepest coffee available, no supply teachers, just combine classes if someone is off sick, staff dress code ridiculously strict ( colour coded, and very expensive) , boarders left unsupervised, etc

5. speechcompanyinfo

I'm sorry to hear that - but - I know what you mean in a way, since I was a boarder for a while and it was bleak.. However there are swanky schools out there

6. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

makes me want to do a little bit mre work. ive not experienced the independent sector bar the highly dodgy un registered somali islamic school i had the best time of my life working in. it was fabulous, a wonderful experience. may be i should shot a cv out to local independents, on e never knows ones look. i mean, i find some staff i n the state sector far too up their own backsides and condascending (sp) for my liking. really, i do, being a council estate reared and still dwelling on a council estate in the ghetto type , i find in the state sector there are many awful types looking down on the likes of me, or my equivalents as pupils. when i was doing my teacher training i remember some bloke on the course actually said "some people from council estates are alright you know" yeah, so there is a thing, within the profession, within the middle classes, who lets face it are far closer economically to the working class and non working class than they will ever be to the upper classes they believe themselves to be rubbing shoulders with. what a laugh, what a farce. time out of the profession has just served to make me more dismissive of the state education system and id prolly have a great time in a public school because, well, its a bit more real and a lot less fake. the state system is built on the lie of social mobility and opportunity that doesnt really exist. but these are essays i will write in my own time. yeah, ive found during my time as a teacher that there are plenty of snooty patronising types in the state sector. jeez, that reminds me of last year when some students at a school i was doing supply at, wow, they were only in their early 20s like, me in my 40s, snooty lil students in a right rough neck part of the outskirts of brum, aka north solihull...well, they tried admonishing me, undermining me and telling me off for not bowing to them , for me using my 20 years ateacher common sense experience to get a job done in the face of a place that was rubbish. wow, just thinking out loud, i cant remember the details but lil miss snoot coming and telling me off. i wouldnt be surprised if lil miss snoot had her hand in making sure i didnt return after the holidays. yuck. how did i do 20 years at all in this awful system of authority and control that is only succeding in keeping ordinary bods down .

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think there are many really excellent private schools

Equally I think there are some pretty dire ones too.