1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rugby thread..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 24, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

37-13 to England against Australia with three minutes left. England have been totally dominant this second half, and playing wonderful rugby. Great to see.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Son2 is at the match. :) Thinking of him - I bet he's enjoying it! :)

lanokia likes this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

Final score 37-18. Well done, England!

burajda likes this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Always enjoy beating the Aussie's but dunno if you saw Ireland v All Blacks last week but it was obvious they were in a different and far superior dimension to England. I am English by the way.

silkywave likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Eddie Jones knows Ireland's win will not mean a thing if they lose in the WC. I do agree Ireland look immense but the worry is they could peak too early. (Goes for all teams)

It feels like Jones is ensuring England hit their peak at the right time, something he did with Australia (where they suddenly from nowhere were within a drop goal themselves of beating England for the WC) and Japan, who played incredibly some years back.

My only worry with Jones is, as you'd expect, he knows how to beat Australia, South Africa and maybe even New Zealand too.....but when we play the home nations or Ireland we seem to struggle a bit.

burajda likes this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The other home nations have stepped up too and the gap appears to have narrowed between us and the Southern hemisphere. England have done pretty well against the home nations over the last few years but have often just fallen short against one of them. England at the moment are more than capable of beating Ireland or Wales, its small margins for sure and its small margins that made the difference between England losing to NZ and Ireland winning. I'm really looking forward to the world cup. England, Ireland and maybe Wales have a fair chance of winning it. Scotland are improved too.
    I also think the six nations is not the main game for England anymore, its not an 'old enemy' thing for us like it is for the Welsh, Scots and Irish...the Autumn Internationals and the World Cup are the big ones and the six nations are a time to build. Still the six nations is a great competition though and I'd hate it if England didnt take it as seriously as in the past.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    dumpty likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The difference between Ireland v All Blacks in 2013 and in 2018 was the All Black knock-on in overtime in 2018.

8. Oscillatingass

I just thought the Irish were more precise and made very few errors like the great All Black teams of the past. The Irish defence was magnificent just like the All Blacks of past years. As an England fan I marvel at how few penalties the Irish concede. They have few if any weaknesses which is why if they play well they will be very difficult to stop.

9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Unbelievably narrow minded and arrogant posts. Australia should have had a penalty try at half time which might have changed the whole outcome of the game. Get real f f s. I hope English supporters, players and their idiot coach now think they are favourites fot the world Cup. Were there no other games on yesterday? Dear dear me.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Australia should also have had a player sent off for tackling an English player and taking him off his feet so he hit the ground head first...

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Enjoyed the England women v Ireland

12. MAGAorMIGA

Wales are looking good, red. I'm looking forward to the next World Cup because it could be the most competitive ever.

13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Well there was France v Fiji. As an Englishman I'm pretty happy to say that France are utterly useless. Hope that's not too arrogant.
    Well done Fiji, I know a lot of Pacific Islanders play in France, but their pace was awesome even if the opposition was so disorganised.

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Totally agree on the Penalty Try (plus red card!!) Even ex-England players / coaches are now saying that and that Farrell is walking a thin line

It will be interesting to see if Brett Gosper (CEO World Rugby) will make any comments after he called for more cards just last week

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Here's the top ten in the world rankings as of last week.
    Update due tomorrow.

1 NEW ZEALAND

2 IRELAND

3 WALES

4 ENGLAND

5 SOUTH AFRICA

6 AUSTRALIA

7 SCOTLAND

8 FRANCE

9 ARGENTINA

10 FIJI

16. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

One of the abiding memories for me of this series will be the inconsistency of the refereeing teams.

Farrell twice and Kerevi got away scot free for serious offences.

Le Roux got a yellow card for a knock-on that was (IMO) not deliberate.

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Some of the best games recently were in the Repechage with Germany almost pulling it off (43 - 6 win over Kenya, 26 - 9 over Hong Kong and then losing to Canada 29 - 10)

18. Oscillatingass

Yes I agree Farrell is a sending off waiting to happen. Thing is he never learns does he? Is he a bit thick? That is twice in succession (South Africa and Australia) in the closing minutes he has got away with brutal and illegal tackles. I suspect the refs will be watching him in the Six Nations

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So long as we do not meet Argentina or Georgia.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  20. Oscillatingass

The only team Ireland have to fear is Ireland.

silkywave and burajda like this.