1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Royal Womble College, Bangkok

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Morena123, Oct 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Hello,

I'm interested in the school with a royal name linked to an outstanding UK school located where the Wombles live.

It's brand new but if anyone already works there I'd be very keen to ask a few questions. They've just posted their secondary roles ready for expansion next year.

Thanks!

2. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I don't work there but I am in Bangkok. Just be aware that getting to Thailand is currently a nightmare, be prepared for multiple Covid tests and and a lengthy quarantine.

Once out here you cannot leave the country or have visitors. This will continue until there is a vaccine that can be administered to the entire Thai population. Any talk from a school about Thailand starting to open up is either deluded or disingenuous.

3. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Thanks Tigi. I'm actually already working in Bangkok, just looking for a different school now.

I'm hoping already being in-country might go in my favour because I totally agree with all your points!

tigi likes this.
  4. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

I live around the corner from it. I really cant see them having many students. They have just opened for Primary last month. If they do get students they will be mostly Thais. Very few expats living around Sathupradit area. Most rich Thai students in the area go to the other brand name school near the river. They will pick up students from a few smaller int schools in the area and also some Thai kids from the Sarasas schools in Sathu. However their levels of Eng will be low. It might be better to wait until the school is more established. Or it could be a chance to get your foot in the door from the start. Their recruitment process is long and ridiculously complicated. Hence they are already advertising for Aug 2021, almost a year in advance. If you are already in a decent school id consider staying put. Good luck!

5. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

In which case I'm sure it would be a point in your favour!

6. adrianwebb

adrianwebb New commenter

A painfully inexperienced headteacher at the helm.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

When you click on the History of the school on the website it talks about placing 300 students in Oxford and Cambridge. The results on the school website look fantastic. Until of course you realise that it opened last month and all of the information is for a completely different, established school in the UK. To me that all seems very devious.

ToK-tastic likes this.
  8. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

I don't work there but from what I have heard their work day is longer and their accomodation allowance is lower than some Bangkok schools. Don't know any more than that though. Good luck with your job search.

9. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

You may be looking at the same post I am!

10. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

@gilderbeast2000
    Have you been through their interview process before? How many stages are there?

11. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I know a t eacher who used to work in Thailand but he said the money was no good there so he works in China and just goes to Thailand in the hols/

12. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Hello @Morena123 as with the rest of the replies here I do not know the school intimately, it is too new. However, I do know the market having lived and worked in Bangkok at good schools off and on for the last 20 years. Many of these "good" schools are not finding things that easy at the moment, and by good I mean well established old schools. Large US corporations pulling out of SE Asia have decimated some of the larger US ones and a general decline in expat numbers has meant that newer schools, but still over 20 years old are thriving with their relationship to big UK public school names. I think that this advert looks to be very speculative with regard to the numbers that they are going to attract. When last I looked at their website it was full of the Oxbridge graduate head and his oppo in the Primary but didn't mention any other staff and was quite light on detail. I think that this is almost a CV gathering exercise to see who is about. Of course I could be completely wrong, I often am.

Take care everyone,

Perce

13. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Thanks everyone, some interesting comments.

I'm very settled in Bangkok and keen to stay, but not at my current school. I'm quite taken with the idea of getting involved in a very new school (I've done similar once before) but I'm also conscious of the risk involved.

The Head is certainly young!

Interesting comment re CV collecting - it is early for recruitment, they're the first school to be posting anything except Jan starts of senior positions. You may well be right on that front.

I have a list of schools I'm interested in and a couple of the new ones are on there (this one and the welly boot school). I would just LOVE to get something lined up before contract renewal chats begin because I do really want to leave my current school but worried I will chicken out if I can't see anything on the horizon. Also worried that if I don't renew at my current school and nothing decent comes up, I will end up in one of the many utter holes of schools that exist here in Bangkok!! In which case, I may as well have stayed in my not-quite-an-utter-hole school, despite being unhappy.

Decisions, decisions...!

I think I will apply and see if anything comes of it, and if so how it feels on campus.

If anyone has any more comments to add, please go for it. With all these ads out, I'm sure others may be interested in any info available too.

14. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I mentioned that last November and TES said I breached their rules so removed my post. He is painfully young. That school is struggling. Only a few of the established schools are not suffering, yet. There’s a real worry for the future. What I know is that most established schools did not grow as hoped/ needed for continued financial security.

agathamorse and ToK-tastic like this.
  15. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Hopefully you have friends or former colleagues at some of the other schools who can give you a heads up regarding departing teachers. We’re encouraged to recommend teachers we know for open positions.

16. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

If you moved elsewhere in Bangkok, wouldn’t you be put on a local contract? My school in BKK were very strict about this and budged for no one.

17. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Which university did he and his wife attend again? I'm not sure if I can find it on the school's website. Is it mentioned . . ? :rolleyes:

adrianwebb likes this.
  18. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Yes, that's a concern. I know some schools won't offer an expat deal if you're already in Thailand, but some do. Some offer parts but not others. I don't mind not having relocation allowance (as I won't be relocating!!) but I won't move for a poor contract. I need medical cover, places for my children, and ideally housing allowance.

It's so difficult! I know a few people who have taught at several schools in BKK and have expat deals so hopefully it's possible.

I joined *** this year, have never bothered before because I assumed most people who leave a review there have a bee in their bonnet. But having read some reviews of people I know and schools I've worked at, some are very accurate indeed! Which is worrying when you read soooo many dreadful reviews of schools with sound reputations.

19. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Sorry I didn't realise that would blank out my reference to another website - it's the one where people leave anonymous reviews of their schools and/or leadership.

20. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Yes, I'm definitely keeping my ear to the ground among teacher friends at other schools. Fingers crossed!