1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Round Robin I'd never send

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ntmiutb, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dear All,
    I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to 2011. I really am, if only to see the back of 2010, although I have recollections of that feeling once before.
    The year didn't start too well, as Rachel had not long left. I saw in the new year alone on the beach, and made all sorts of wishes on pebbles and the like, apparently to little avail. I did manage to get back in touch with a dear old friend in January, and we vowed to get together more regularly - so far we seem to be managing once each January! Here's to a fortnight's time.
    Spring looked promising in some respects. My boss was pregnant, and there arose the possibility of a temporary promotion: a chance to prove my worth as it were. Sadly, the power-that-be deemed me wholly unworthy and passed over me with scant regard - although kindly offered some of the extra work created without pay. How thoughtful.
    That was when I started looking elsewhere for posts. A job came up at another company and looked the part so I applied. It seems that they were far more willing to make use of my skills and so it was that I resigned ready to start afresh. I wondered if it might be a turning point; a sort of crossroads if you will. I think it may have been... but I'm still not sure I took the right turn. And somehow the joy of promotion doesn't seem the same when it comes in such circumstances, and the celebration of the moment is alone.
    Then I got a year older.
    Summer was a bit of a tough one. My younger brother - he who is supposed to look up to me, to follow in my footsteps - got married. How wonderful, said everyone. What a lovely couple, said they all. When are you going to find yourself someone they added with a innocent but crushing chime! Of course, smile I did, looking the part - and then escaped at the earliest chance to squirrel myself away trying not to think of what wasn't.
    I heard from Karen in the summer too -you remember, the one I nearly married? Yes, her second is starting school now, which is naturally a delight to hear. No, no reason for upset there. Didn't feel at all old or alone.
    And thus Autumn came. The new job, with all its promise of new challenge and new people is... well... you know when you think you find yourself with a pack of Revels unexpectedly. You know that the risk is great, but you try your luck. So far I've had a lot of orange ones. One can only hope that this means there are many more maltesers in the bag.
    Of course, promotion meant I could move house from that evil drafty place to somewhere nicer. Which I did. Why is it only after a move that you realise how far away everything - and everyone - is? Why only after the move that you notice the cracks in the wall?
    Now, I realise, good friends, that with such a year of opportunities it seems like carping to be disappointed, but do you remember how I wrote that once that with the right person by your side you can get through anything. Well, it turns out that the reverse may also be true.
    I apologise for the lack of Christmas cards - somehow the festive spirit struggled to ignite the necessary flame in me. But rest assured that I was thrilled and overjoyed to receive each and every text that showed that I was still in your phone address book. A treasure to behold.
    Here's to a joyous 2011 for you and your families - if I could just ask that you try to keep it well hidden from me.
    Happy New Year
    ntmiutb

Self-indulgent maybe, but cathartic in its way.

2. It's strange how we only ever seem to share the GOOD bits of our lives with our friends and family. If you were a friend or relation of mine I'd much rather you'd let me know how you are feeling rather than struggle on your own. It wouldn't be self-indulgent - a problem shared is a problem halved (or lessened anyway).
    Just coming out of an awful year myself so can empathise to some extent. Chin up and onwards and upwards. Sometimes it's worth thinking that things really can't get much worse and HAVE to get better. [​IMG]

3. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I don't know what to say but this made me choke up so it needs a response. Some years just seem like a trial from start to finish. I am hoping 2011 is better x

4. I hope 2011 is better for you. (I like orange Revels by the way, but if you don't then it's a bad bag :))

5. Sorry this year has been so hard for you - hope next year is much better.
    Somehow, it feels hard to share the tough bits of life. Lots of our friends and family know about our failed fertility treatment but it wasn't something I felt I could mention in Christmas cards. I've had an email from an old friend asking how I am as I just put a basic greeting in her Christmas card and I'm not sure what to say in reply.
    Really hope everyone who has had a rubbish 2010 gets much better luck in 2011.

6. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

(((((((((hugs))))))))
    Having had a pretty awful year myself I sympathise with you. I think all you can do is keep hoping for better things to come while doing whatever you can to help things along. I really hope 2011 is better for you, take care.xxx

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"My Momma always said life was like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get"
    Forrest Gump

Here's to more Maltesers in 2011 ntmiutb - everybody has a sh*t year at some point. Their purpose is to make the good years seem better ;-)

8. I hope that 2011 is better for you. [​IMG]
    Your post was thought provoking at many levels, and certainly more revealing than the 'look at me/us aren't we doing swell' round robins, and even FB pages that seem to haunt us all from time to time.

9. Take 2011 by the scruff it's neck and make it go where you want it to as far as is humanly possible.
    Maisied, it's not a bad thing to shout out when things are going well it's just that lots of people only post the good things, it doesn't mean they never have it tough.
    We all do, so best wishes to everyone for 2011.
    Love,Luck and Happiness all round.

10. I agree completely.