1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Romans and ICT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uk2020, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    Anyone have any ideas on what ICT work I can do with my children? I am in Y6 and out next topic is the Romans. I don't want to do research or use PowerPoint etc. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

What do you mean by etc?

3. man501

man501 New commenter

Check the QCA ICT units. While they are not great at least they can give some ideas if your at an impass.
    If that fails you could always get them to make a mini-documentary using video cameras and editing skills on movie maker, introduce photoshop packages.

4. Google Earth has a 3D layer of Ancient Rome (but it seems to take almost as long to load as the Roman Empire took to fall). Still, it's worth a try.
    Avoid the QCA schemes.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

If you dont want them to reseach or use 'power points' how on earth do you intend then to learn or understand?....Of course they have to do that to even begin to develp any other work using ict.
    However, stop go animation using web cams,scores of music or words using recording techniques. maybe pp to develop thier own way of understanding, publishing of poster etc wth publisher or developing a searchable data base.....all which require a high degree of input and help unless yours are truely competent.

6. If you don't want to use Powerpoint, then could you use Photostory (or was that in the 'etc'?). The children could create a non chronological report about the Romans but using Photostory to tell their report. It's so easy to use but you can so more stuff on it than Powerpoint. You can insert photogrpahs that you have downloaded from the internet and the children can either type over the slide, or record their voice, and then insert some music, ( sorry if you have used this before and know exactly what I'm talking about!!)