1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The role of governors

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tweetypi88, Nov 7, 2011.

1. I have been a supply teacher in a this school for a year now, filling in on a regular basis. There is a PPA job coming up and the head asked me a few months ago whether I'd be interested in it and of course I said yes. However when I filled in after the summer holidays I discovered that the job had temporarily been given to someone else (who happens to be the daughter-in-law of an LSA). I didn't mention it to he head at all. Then she told me that this girl would be leaving to go for another job soon so the job would be free but the governors had decided to advertise the job. I didnt realise that the governors had more of say than the headteacher did? Also, do I still apply for this job? I have covered there alot and know the kids so well now, but I'll just feel awkward if I don't get given an interview!!

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

What is a PPA job? PPA is when teachers have their free lessons and not taken for cover. Would you be a Cover Supervisor, Cover Teacher, or what .................. Will you get paid as per a supply teacher, will your pay be on the scale of cover supervisor or at a higher rate for QTS................ I would suggest find out what the role is ... job spec wise and the pay of course ....... then see if you want to apply............. it sounds like they want someone cheaper rather than not asking you or asking you to apply for it. If they asked you to do the job at a lower salary it could be seen as taking advantage of you, if you apply on your own back then they are free to consider you as you know exactly what you are applying for and what the pay will be.

If you are prepared to take a pay cut speak to them before they advertise it.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Every Head is answerable to the Governors, at least in theory. The buck stops with the Chair of Governors.