1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Rogue Guide to Teaching Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by singleteacher001, Jan 7, 2018.

1. singleteacher001

singleteacher001 New commenter

2. happyteacher81

happyteacher81 New commenter

Like you I am looking to start teaching overseas next academic year and I purchased a copy back in December, which is when I think it first appeared. It looks self-published; the formatting is basic but it’s detailed with lots of links to relevant websites and there are plenty of points I would never have thought of myself.

Regarding the financial side of living overseas as a teacher while maintaining a paper trail both in and out of the UK (e.g. for purposes of AML documentation, tax laws, UK and offshore bank accounts, proofs of address) there are some really ‘crafty’ tricks and tips which seem to justify the title ‘The Rogue Guide to Teaching Overseas. Overall, I’d say not a bad reference tool for a fiver.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I haven’t read it, but generally you get what you pay for.
    I’m betting this forum is at least as good. Certainly more responsive.

4. shirleybitgirl

shirleybitgirl New commenter

Hello again sinleteacher001, thanks for acknowledging my help!

In responding to your previous thread I omitted to mention that I have actually read this book. Like happyteacher81, I have found it useful. For me it was the interview questions. I am starting to think about saving money with a view to retirement (I’ve avoided it for far too long) and it has given also given me some useful tips in this area.

If you check amazon you will find plenty of expat guides but this is the only book I have found that is specific to British teachers teaching overseas. International schools are big business so I’m surprised there is so little out there.

The author seems to have had a colourful past if it’s all true- military, royal footman at Buckingham Palace, teacher in Kuwait, Oman and Russia. Sounds like James Bond!

5. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

6. happyteacher81

happyteacher81 New commenter

shirleybitgirl, if he is James Bond then you've just gone and blown his cover...;)

7. redtoad

redtoad New commenter

No I’m not James Bond but I have done all the stuff stated in my bio. Basically I was grounded in Russia last summer due to visa complications so the book represents my attempt at making the best of a bad situation. It grew out of some related magazine and journal articles I’d previously written.

I’ve always looked at teaching overseas as an (almost) carefree adventure but now I’m just over 40 and married with a child it feels more like ‘real life’, if that makes any sense. With this in mind, the main focus of the book is about keeping your international working life flexible and portable. It’s self-published but I’ve tried to make it as comprehensive and as accurate/up to date as possible.

In deference to gulfgolf, no book can be a ‘catch-all’ guide and I’m certainly not the grand-old-man of international teaching. If you have the time, researching on this forum and posting questions is always going to be your best bet.

Shirleybitgirl and happyteacher81, thanks for reading my book and It's good to know you found some of it useful!

yasf and blueskydreaming like this.
  8. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

9. ehthomas123

ehthomas123 New commenter

Thank you, redtoad. I am finding it a very useful guide as someone is starting to think about venturing overseas!

10. redtoad

redtoad New commenter

Ehthomas, thanks for your acknowledgement. Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries about any of the content. Happy reading and best of luck!

11. BFP

BFP New commenter

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sorry redtoad.

13. redtoad

redtoad New commenter

No worries, I think singleteacher001 was previously asking in another thread what guides or how-to books are out there so this is undoubtedly helpful. To echo shirleybitgirl, I’m surprised there isn’t more material out there or if there is, it isn’t easy to find.

14. nadirnwo

nadirnwo New commenter

redtoad, have sent you a message.

15. redtoad

redtoad New commenter

nadirnwo, I just replied so I hope my comments prove useful/helpful to you. Thanks again for reading my book and I'm glad you enjoyed it!