1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rise of China

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 6, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think this video illustrates the rise of China quite well. Some of my pupils didn't realise how recent this rise was.

From 2000 onwards just shows how impressive the Chinese achievement has been. Of course there are terrible side effects, rapid urbanisation, pollution, population movement.

JL48 and artboyusa like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well they "own" huge swathes of this country.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Concentration camps, arbitrary arrest ... or maybe that’s a constant?

JL48 likes this.
  4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

and the prediction of the future . .

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's not all bad in terms of the environment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't have too much of a problem with the Chinese people getting the chance of a decent standard of living. For goodness sake, they were staving for long enough.

Their prosperity has come from from their hard work, pretty much as Britain's prosperity came, we we were a manufacturing force to be reckoned with.

Britain's decline coincided with China's rise; and only because those in control wanted to get fatter by exploiting cheaper labour. There has never been a ruling power that gave a $hi.t about the proletariat, or the consequences on the rest of humanity, whilst they ruled.

There's nothing new to see here. Move along.

7. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Wrong. Britains prosperity has come from it's empire and it's subjugation of other people and countries.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's only part of it, @vinnie24. I don't deny that the British empire exploited the world, but it wasn't all about wealthy merchants.We had more than enough slaves in Britain working all the hours God sends to survive.

It was a long slow process to improve the standard of living for their offspring to the level of comparative misery you endure today. Had you been around at the height of the British empire, you wouldn't have had the education you have. The chances are you wouldn't have survived birth; and even if you did, the odds of your mother surviving it as well, so she could raise you to become a mill worker who died before his first w.ank , because he was small enough to climb into the workings of a loom to untangle something whilst the loom needed to be running flat out to meet the mill owners demands.

The British Empire treated most of its own citizens in just as awful a way as it treated those overseas. We focus a lot on the abomination of slavery from the perspective of those who were held in captivity for their forced labour, but there was just as slavery going on in the UK. The only difference being that Britons weren't kept in iron chains, just in the financial chains required to survive.

Every fantastically successful nation is less than a century apart from when poverty and slavery was rife within its midst.

9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Most of what you write here is irrelevant to my point.

China's prosperity does not come from looting the rest of the world. Britain's does. It was that loot that financed the industrial revolution and the resulting prosperity this country enjoys today.

Period.