1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rise in veganism

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 24, 2019.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The writing is on the wall for the future of meat eaters in the UK. We stopped buying live chickens to butcher/eat at home. We no longer see game such as rabbits, hares, pheasants and pigeons hung in butchers windows. Horse and goat meat disappeared long ago. Apart from liver, offals and dried fish are mostly only available from small shops catering to the tastes of immigrants. Many youngsters like the taste but dislike anything that resembles the creature it was derived from, thus they prefer skinned chicken breast, chicken nuggets, sliced bacon, burgers and sausages. Bizarrely we can now buy frozen wild boar, ostrich, kangaroo or crocodile burgers but not horse?
    Take a trip to Riga central market in Latvia to see what we are missing out on. Take a trip to Africa to see how we have sanitized the meat industry for better health.

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I am donating my body to science, but I do not mind if you fancy using the best bits for a Sunday roast. My only concern is that animals (and humans) are cared for when they are alive and have a pain free death. In a world of vegans there would be no animal farms, so a trip to the countryside would just be fields of crops, greenhouses and grain silos. I would miss the joy of lambs in spring and cows chewing the cud.

bombaysapphire and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Wise words.
    It's a dog eat dog world. Animals eat other animals.
    Jusr because we have the intellect to choose not to on grounds of not killing animals does not make us superior in any way.
    Being responsible in our consumption and treatment of animals does.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Only logistically.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

A Vegan diet lacks Vitamin B12, however it is in Marmite. But, do all Vegans like Marmite?