1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The right has chosen its scapegoat ? the single mum. And she will bleed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Aug 26, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/19/single-mothers-uk-riots-tanya-gold

for once a well written, if somewhat depressing piece, that goes against all the vile and perverse comments that have been spouted by the daily mail, WUM's and 'little englanders' since the riots.

Nice to see someone attempting to highlight the mass hysteria and myths of the 'single mum' being a teenage chav, legs akimbo while reaching for the keys to her new council house.

'Only 3% of single mothers are teenagers, according to the charity Gingerbread. The average age of the single mother is 37, and the majority (55%) had their children within marriage. That poster girl for the End of Days, the sperm-bandit teenage mother in search of a council house, is not representative. She is a mere sliver of data, nearly an urban myth.'

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/19/single-mothers-uk-riots-tanya-gold

for once a well written, if somewhat depressing piece, that goes against all the vile and perverse comments that have been spouted by the daily mail, WUM's and 'little englanders' since the riots.

Nice to see someone attempting to highlight the mass hysteria and myths of the 'single mum' being a teenage chav, legs akimbo while reaching for the keys to her new council house.

'Only 3% of single mothers are teenagers, according to the charity Gingerbread. The average age of the single mother is 37, and the majority (55%) had their children within marriage. That poster girl for the End of Days, the sperm-bandit teenage mother in search of a council house, is not representative. She is a mere sliver of data, nearly an urban myth.'

3. The Guardian wrote that? Really?
    [​IMG]

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Tell me about it, I had to pick myself up off the floor! Although I think the normal writer is way on holiday! Normal service to resume soon!

5. Once again we need a subset indicator for Single Mothers We Disapprove Of (insofar as one is permitted to disapprove of anyone's choice about anything).
    It's the usual self-excusing tripe ("I'm a single mother and my family is perfect") that fails, as lefty writers always do, to address the effect that individual freedoms have on society as a whole. To read Germaine Greer you'd think that every woman in a married contracted before 1985 was silently enduring a daily round of beatings and subjugation.
    Yes, by all means decide that the father you chose for your children is no longer making you feel as special as he used to and toss him on the scrapheap to take up anotther unit of housing. Cast him out if he is too dull to understand the sexually exclusive nature of the contract he freely entered into. Do it especially if you can afford between you to run two households without expecting a handout from me.
    But don't then turn around and try to ignore or even worse, deny, the statistics that unfailingly state that the outcome for the children of such disruption is worse than for those who continued to adulthood with two married cohabiting parents. The facts are there. If they don't apply to photogenic, 37-yr-old intelligent, well-paid women, then dandy. But unfortunately the descriptor "single mother" does include 19 yr old lager-swilling, fag-smoking Karli who already had three neglected kids by different fathers, supported by nothing but benefits.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But there is no way that you'll convince the average Daily Mail reader or Jeremy Kyle viewer that this is the case.
    ...nor will you convince them that every teenage mum isn't a "wee chav-slapper" looking for their own council house.

But I'm reminded, yet again, grandelf, of why I adopted you in the first place! [​IMG]

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

...as for choosing scapegoats - when I was about 12 (might have been younger) I wrote to the Daily Record to complain about the fact that they were demonising the children of lone parents (the term was 'deliquents' in those days). As one of those children I found it very hurtful and not a little offensive.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Brilliant post Lily!

9. Wish there was a LIKE button for Lily's post. God, you write well.....

10. I didn't mean it to sound like I am saying Lily is God. I was using that as in "Hot damn, you write well."
    And have just remembered I could just have used the edit button.
    [​IMG]