1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The right decision

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by travelwings, Nov 9, 2018.

1. travelwings

travelwings New commenter

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help with a dilemma I’m facing.
    I’ve been teaching at my current school for three years now and am seriously considering leaving. It’s a nice school with lots of experienced staff and and teachers are generally treated very well and students are mostly polite, well behaved and high achieving.
    I’m considering leaving for a few different reasons
    1. I’m thinking about moving to London (I’m currently only a short distance away) as I would like a higher salary so I can save up more to buy my own place. Schools are seriously underfunded at the moment and I know my current school won’t be able to match the London payscales.
    2. I’m in no rush to progress up the ladder but it is something that I want in the future and as this school and my department are so well established (I’m the least experienced teacher) I know that I’m not in mind for any future promotions. I really enjoy learning from all my experienced colleagues but I am wary that those in charge still see me as the NQT I started as and changing schools would be a fresh start.
    3. Diversity. I realise this may sound silly to some but I grew up in a very multi-cultural community and my current school is very different to this and in some ways it makes connections with students feel slightly harder.

I suppose my question is: does the above sound like reasonable ideas for changing schools or, considering the current teaching climate, am I silly to leave the great school I’m currently at.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Greeengirl

Greeengirl New commenter

I think these are reasonable factors for you to change school, especially factor 3, but the only things I would consider are:

1. If you move to London, the higher salary you'd receive would be easily spent on higher rent & cost of living prices, so you may find that you may not be that better off overall. Plus being in London you might find it harder to save as there's more things for you to do and spend money on.

2. Although you may be one of the least experienced teachers, are there other areas of the school that you could possibly get promoted in? e.g. head of year, head of house (if you have that sort of system in your school). A higher amount of experience does not always necessarily equate to being promoted over less experienced others. I was promoted early on in my career & I think if you show real passion, a drive to succeed, and a fresh approach, you may find that you will have a shot over the others! :)

It does sound like you are in a great school though from what you've said, so I would maybe remember that the grass isn't always greener...

travelwings and sabrinakat like this.
  3. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

1. London is expensive - rent, living and transport costs are higher. The kids' behaviour can also be a lot worse, chances are you won't enjoy your job as much and will probably have to develop lots of new strategies in the classroom to cope with the new environment you find yourself in. You may even struggle to impress SLT in that first year.
    2. However, staff changes in London are a lot more common, so in the right school, you might make much quicker progress over a short period of time (2-3 years). If you decided that you HAVE to teach in London, look at the government's deprivation map before you decide on a school - trust me, if you don't, you'll regret it.

Final judgement? Why not try another school much closer to where you are? You can still be a fresh face then... Do a little digging to help you pick the right school - perhaps try a school that's having a change of head soon, or with an older, soon to retire, SLT. Such changes might boost your prospects of a promotion down the line...

travelwings likes this.
  4. travelwings

Thanks for replying :)
    I am worried about cost of living and rent prices in particular and know I’ll have to be very careful about where I choose to live. My school do have Head of Years but that’s not a route that particularly intrigued me and I’m not sure what’s happened to our House system. I think the Head of House role has been removed.
    I’ve got lots to think about so thanks for your wise words!

5. travelwings

Hi! Yes really keen to not go to a school with terrible behaviour and that’s one of the things I’m worried about with moving schools! I’m definitely keeping an eye out for the ‘right’ school and will have to try and visit a few before I commit to anywhere.
    Thanks for your advice particularly about finding a school near by that might be a good move to find somewhere new but not too far out of my comfort zone.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

If the pupils’ behaviour at your current school is satisfactory or manageable and senior staff are supportive, those are very big plus points. Three years is a reasonable length for a first post, so feeling ready to move on is quite natural, but the London bubble is a unique environment and may not turn out to be quite what you expect. I wouldn’t move to London for the salary, personally. A higher salary can’t compensate for the stress of working in some London schools.

agathamorse and Northern_Miss like this.