1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The return of three-tier?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by scentless_apprentice, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Following Mr Gove's "Bye bye modular" declaration, I was having a chat with a fellow HOD about the implications of this. Having re-written schemes of work for the new spec, he's now going back to his old graduated assessment SOWs and knocking them into a linear scheme...
    Anyway, I postulated the idea that there may be a return to three tier to soften the blow - at which point his school's exam officer said that this might not be out of the realms of possibility, according to some not-quite-unfounded rumour he'd heard.
    What do we reckon about this, could it happen?
    If it did, I can only imagine the Foundation paper will include the chance of getting C?

2. DM

DM New commenter

My neighbour's cousin has a psychic puppy and he apparently barked three times when Michael Gove was on the telly yesterday.

3. anyone have a pet octopus?

4. DM

DM New commenter

The psychic puppy's tongue was lolling and he started whimpering when he saw this on the telly a couple of hours ago.
    [​IMG]

5. oh dm - and resoucefinder and i were competing to be your ideal woman [​IMG]

6. DM

DM New commenter

I don't actually rate her very highly but I seem to be alone in human (and dog) kind in taking this view.

7. ach - my faith in tes-maths human nature is restored [​IMG]
    oh - and master p (who had to identify the photo for me [​IMG] ) agrees with you

8. You are not alone. If the BBC show her one more time I'm writing in to ask for a refund of my license fee.

9. That's a no then.

10. DM

DM New commenter

No sorry. We won't see additional tiers in the forseeable future. Who knows what might happen in another ten years though?

11. Who is that woman?

cyolba, riding the zeitgeist :)

12. DM

DM New commenter

Three tiers would be considered laughable by her family.
    [​IMG]

13. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

There are currently no plans to reintroduce 3-tier for mathematics

14. DM

DM New commenter

15. DM

DM New commenter

11% of schools actually like two tier shocker (Appendix A3 Page 82).

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFE-RR143.pdf

The authors of this report have also jumped onto the Stop Early Entry bandwagon will should annoy pencho!

Page 5:

"Early entry leads to thousands of students not achieving their full potential, or having their mathematical skills atrophy during Year 11. We have found that many students, including the highest attainers, can end up doing no mathematics in Year 11 if they have ‘banked’ a good grade and that students in 11-16 schools are more likely to be entered early. This can create serious discontinuities in mathematical learning. The corollary of ‘successful’ early entry is resitting failed examinations, which has an equally dispiriting impact upon learners, who in the first place take examinations for which they are not ready, followed by repeating material rather than engaging with new mathematics."

16. that must have taken some time to put the cut-up pieces into dinky little boxes and send them out to family and friends