1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The retired person's ballet challenge .....

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Luvsskiing, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

https://teatrwielki.pl/en/mobile/whats-on/201920/the-lady-of-the-camellias/termin/2020-01-30_19-00/

Your challenge .....

See Lady of the Camelias ballet in Warsaw later this month.

So, just got back from Warsaw, seeing performances on four consecutive nights from two different casts from different seats of this truly magical, intense tragic tale of 19th Century doomed passion. It's a breathtaking ballet production in a world class opera house.

So its on again for four more nights at the end of February, the two hour flights are a tenner to Warsaw and accommodation is cheap as chips. Tickets at the front of the opera house are only £30 (sit at the front towards the right), or pick up a standby ticket for £8 at the ticket office at 6.30pm, half an hour before the start. There's plenty to do in Warsaw or hop on a train to Krakow.

But, go. Forget Coronation Street and other TV rubbish. Even if you have never seen a ballet production, see this one. You won't regret it. I already have my tickets booked for all four nights :)

PS Read the book before you go.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    plot71 likes this.
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not from where I live!
    From Aberdeen,£170 something from Aberdeen (going via Amsterdam). Direct from Edinburgh but still around £80. Going on holiday to my French hometown(hugely touristy town) is a military operation,involving 2 flights and hoping that Flybe doesn't go bust (and it's only summer flights). So it's Coronation Street for me!

Lucky you if you live near an airport that allows you to travel anywhere cheaply.

3. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

How are you doing Warsaw for a tenner?!

catmother likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't think we're the only people to call it Flymaybe :rolleyes:

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I could go for the weekend 20th Mar for £50 return with Ryanair from Bham. I wont be though. Not my thing.

6. Luvsskiing

@will Birmingham to Warsaw currently £9.99 with Ryanair on 26th Feb, although they do keep wacking it up to £24.99 for a few days before bringing it down again. Flies to Modlin 40kms away but the shuttle is easy and costs a few euros. Return on Wizz was £14.99. similar from London.

This ballet is beyond beautiful so get tickets and go! You'll love Warsaw for a few days, too.

@lindenlea It wasn't mine either. I went on a whim last year when I was coming back from Zakopane skiing and had a night to kill. Never saw ballet before that night, but can"t get enough now. Such an emotive art form. Really intense and skillful.

lindenlea likes this.
  7. plot71

plot71 New commenter

8. mustntgrumble

mustntgrumble New commenter

I really like this idea.... retirement challenges.. do something different with a cost effective approach.. More ideas, please!

brook123lyn likes this.
  9. will_osweighton

Bus pass safaris! There's an intrepid group of U3A members round here that go all over the place on their bus passes.

10. will_osweighton

Ah...Ryanair's the catch... :D

See the Munich train thread - there are plenty of really cheap ways of going around Europe by train. seat61.com

11. Luvsskiing

In Lazienki Park in Warsaw, there's a botanical gardens. I've been three times and each time it's been shut, despite it saying it should be open. But next to it is a gem of a cafe, hidden, warm, inviting and relaxing. I think it's called Flora, but you can't miss it next to the entrance to the gardens.

In the park is the best (and free) museum in the Palace of the Isle. Really evocative of a royal family in a bygone age. Best museum I've seen in ages.

As we retire and death comes closer, why not see the sort of place you might end up in; the 'brilliant' Jewish Cemetery has a quarter of a million graves, headstones by world famous sculptors like Ostrzega, holds loads of celebs of yesteryear as well as more emotive headstones e.g. of holocaust and ghetto victims and if the weather is rubbish or it's been snowing, is a photographer's delight.

And then the ballet in the evening .....