1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Results meeting...How to respond

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by strugglingHoD, Sep 11, 2018.

1. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

Hi All,

Just been in for the annual results meeting with “the boss”. Been in charge 2 years and had to change so much in the last 2 years.

Because the results were in negative res, I really don’t know how they want me to answer about the results that have just gone.

I’ve walked in and tried to justify all the things I have changed in the last 12 months to try and make this cohort pass and what we are going in the next 12 months.

He doesn’t want to hear “look at the students..” he doesn’t want to hear “we tried x,y and z…it didn’t work”. He wants to hear “what went wrong..”

what went wrong was that the kids did not revise and didn’t answer the questions. They didn’t do homework and when I contacted parents, parents weren’t interested. We tried collecting them from detention and they refused, we contacted heads of year and that made no impact.

I have no idea how to answer the questions on the data, all I can answer is what we are doing this year to stop it happening again. I've had to change so much and all i could do is feel my head going down and down in the chair. He won't accept, its going to take time.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to approach a meeting where your results are in negative residual and the only reason you can find is you had a bad cohort of kids.

2. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

At the start of every year, the first question I pose to my department is "what went wrong?". Our results are always very very good, but by no means do we have 100% 9 grades so of course we can improve.

Talk to your department. They were the teachers! What do they think needs to be done more off? More pressure on students? If it was the kids think what more could have been done? Intervention? Guided revision? Stopped them going on study leave?

You'll perhaps need to tell us more - what year, what department etc.

KateAnwen likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Do not blame the pupils, their parents or other members of staff directly. Say what you tried, get it out of the way, and then say what how you will be changing your department's teaching to improve results. When you have a plan to improve results then, with your department's other teachers, implement it. Take control.

install, sabrinakat and rehaank like this.
  4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If you mean residuals in a school then ovvioudly some subjects will have negative residuals as they did not all get the same results across the board

However for openers

When was the exam in the exam timetable
    Looking at students with negative residuals - how worse are they than other subjects?
    What was the coursework element and was it adjusted
    What were the grade boundaries and how close were the students

How forthcoming wschelp you asked for say in the third week of November when behaviour was off the wall?

Why didn’t SLTs many learning walks/observations/book trawls pick this up?

He probably doesn’t want to hear any of this

He also won’t want to hear the phrase
    “Ok maybe it’s time for someone else to do the job then - I resign”

binaryhex and install like this.
  5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You should also compare your residual to national residuals if your subject is one of the harder GCSEs e.g. MFL. Have a look at ERA (for AQA) or the equivalent for your exam board to see if there are any areas which your students particularly underperform in compared to similar schools - this will help with any departmental action plan you need to produce.

install likes this.
  6. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

thanks for advice....there were little good in our results, but some of our lowest scorers were the ones with the worst attendance. it just so happens instead of having a good mix of good/not so good students we have majority students who have poor attendance, isolation's etc. than most other subjects.

I still have issues in my department (staff walking in expecting the lesson to be ready for them rather than planning, poor assessment, poor t&l )and the constant pressure from above....I had one member of staff get aggressive(tone) with me because i suggested they look at what their students did in the exam and highlight/ where they went wrong.

I then backed off and said "i don't want you to mark them all again, i want you to tell me where the weak points were in the exam, you can decide how to best do that and back it up with evidence (or something of the like)".

After 2 years of this, I think i'm ready to drop back down, I can only bang my head so much on a brick wall....SLT want results, but are not prepared to support their middle leaders in achieving them.

7. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

Hi,

It's sorry to hear you struggling like this. I've sent you a "conversation" on here.

8. barca fc

barca fc New commenter

Hi science guy, where would I find info on National residual Ship? Speaking as a Head of MFL in need of some hard data to show what we all know about languages GCSEs being harder than (some) other subjects

9. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

you'd look on SISRA to show how your performance in your subject compared to national average....not sure how you'd explain that your subject is harder than others.....we say that about computing! (thinking of putting up a sign "this is computing, its really hard")

10. ScienceGuy

My school uses 4 Matrix and they can be found there in the Res v Nat column. I am not sure where this data comes from - a brief search this morning did not lead to any up to date values

11. ScienceGuy

The other source for national residuals is RM data who provide the information for Raiseonline. If you know of a friendly SLT member with access, they may may be able to provide this information.

12. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

We use SISRA and the JCQ website when comparing national averages at GCSE.

13. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

I'm intrigued why anyone would expect their lessons to be planned for them?

14. install

install Star commenter

1 Compare your minus res with other subjects in the school. Did some subjects do worse?

2 Most subjects are now the new 9-1 grading. New for teachers and students.
    Its a Learning Curve. There is no hustoric data to look at or many papers

3 Make requests - resources / time / networking with sucessful depts / in house Coaches etc

4 Find out which classes did better?.How?

5 Will this happen again? If not - why not ?.Be able to show a slight improvement with the current cohort if poss..

Good luck.

SamGBr likes this.