1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Real Versus Fake Debate...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Dec 6, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

So, for the first time this year, I'm think I might buy a real Christmas tree. For the last few years, I've bought a more and more expensive fake tree, hoping it will look nicer and more realistic, but every year I'm disappointed with how it looks.
    The main issue is that I don't have enough space between branches for the baubles to hang nicely, they tend to end up 'sitting' on the branches and it annoys me.
    So, what about you? Real or fake?
    If I go for real, what sort of tree do you find best?
    Decisions, decisions!

2. fantastischfish

So, for the first time this year, I'm think I might buy a real Christmas tree. For the last few years, I've bought a more and more expensive fake tree, hoping it will look nicer and more realistic, but every year I'm disappointed with how it looks.
    The main issue is that I don't have enough space between branches for the baubles to hang nicely, they tend to end up 'sitting' on the branches and it annoys me.
    So, what about you? Real or fake?
    If I go for real, what sort of tree do you find best?
    Decisions, decisions!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My tree is black and looks gorgeous!

It's slimline so it fits, the white (not cream) lights set it off a treat, and the baubles heng well.

I don't give a stuff about realism!

4. v12

v12

Real.
    Not with those little spiky things - but the slightly more expensive ones which look nicer and don't drop needles as easily.
    Right up to the ceiling (about 7ft minus the table it stands on) - although we have a small cottage with lowish ceilings.
    In the corner - loads of lights around it - big star on top, presents underneath the table it sits on.
    It takes up loads of room - but smells lovely and looks the business.
    And the children love it!
    Go to Elvedon Forest if you're in Suffolk - they have real elves to help you pick the right tree!

5. fantastischfish

That sounds awesome, but I'm in the north east.
    I'm a traditionalist as far as trees go I'm afraid. Gold, red and green baubles only and I have ornaments that I was given my grandparents and my parents that I loved as a child. I think the main thing I'm looking for is plenty of space between branches. The fake ones I've had in the past tend to be very full and there isn't room to hang the baubles properly. The last one I baught was a real disappointment. I'd spent quite a bit more than previously and though it would be better quality, but once I got it up in the living room, it just didn't look right. Plus, it winds me up having to get it back in the box after Christmas....it never goes back correctly! And storage is an issue in our small flat as well
    My boyfriend thinks I'm mental, but is happy to let me go for it.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the debate is a very short one for me.

FAKE

I don't fancy spending Xmas covered in spots and hives due to an allergy of Christmas trees!

7. Real! Always real!
    We get one that has longer, flatter needles (can't remember variety sorry). As long as it is stood in water in drops very few needles, is usually quite bushy (I like lots of foliage) and smells gorgeous.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Real every time, even though Im also allergic, but only when they actually scratch me.
    I have a blue spruce which we bring in from the garden every year..it isnt very big yet but weve had it since it was a baby .
    My decs are all odd, deliberately so beacuse every single one has a memory attached. dont really like Christmas, but this is the one part that makes me smile every year

9. Me too. I've got some really old glass baubles that were my Great-Grandmothers and some really naff ones that my Gran got when we went to Harrods one Christmas. In fact, I've still got the little Harrods bag that they came in and have been wrapped carefully to be put back in for the past 40 years. I love the "ornaments" that my children have made over the years too.
    I always used to have a real tree, a big one, but now have a fake one because I was picking needles out of my new cream carpet for weeks after Christmas and life is too short to do that.

10. Have a real one every year and get it from a Christmas tree farm. Guess it has a lot to do with having a German mother as she always insisted on a real one and would tell stories of how Opa (my grandad) would go into the forest in East Prussia and chop one down and she would have to recite poems under the tree.
    Have her German candle holders so have real candles and am careful not to burn the house down! I always put my tree up on Christmas Eve; true to German tradition and we used to sing German Christmas carols..Whilst I played on the piano.
    Like the real ones; they give off a gorgeous pine smell..
    If you ever get a chance read Hans Christian Anderson's fairytale about the Christmas Tree - it is absolutely delightful!

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Always had real. The variety you need is a Nordman: doesn't drop many needles at all and looks good for a long time . The secret is to sit it in a bucket of cold water outside for 24 hours after you buy it and keep it in a holder with water. If you don't it will drop needles but nowhere near as bad as the classic Epicea do.
    Douglas Fir are also good, but more expensive.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oh yes, I remember this sooooo well! And I have the most talented and precocious little sister who would recite, sing and do a short dance whilst I mumbled my way through 4 lines of doggerel!
    On Christmas Eve the tree would traditionally be put up in the Gute Stube (best room/ front room whatever!) and children wouldn't see it until early evening when they went in for family time and presents.
    Times change.....I have a small, table top artifical tree. I only have the one living room which os my lounge/study/dining room/best room all in one. The cieling is so low that I can change the light bulbs without standing on a chair - and I am 5'3 ish! So a real, large tree is no good - and no garden to plant the tree in afterwards.
    I love the idea of candles - especially for the table-top advent wreath...but I am pyrophobic in a big way...but thanks to Lakeland I have battery operated candles that look real and even flicker!
    When I visit Mum she will have her German tapes out...all the oldies...Freddy...Heino...Marianne and Michael (not such oldies in Mum's eyes!) and her current favourite Andre Rieu...and she also likes to liten to me reading German Christmas stories to her!

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We live 10 mins away from the largest Christmas tree farm in the UK (uit is the one they always take the news cameras to and the one that supplies 10 Downing street).

Have had a real one since the kiddies were small (eldest is 29 now) and it is worth it just for the smell. Over the years we have managed to keep a few alive and they are growing down the garden reminding us of Christmasses past.

14. Fake - the years we've had real ones I've still been finding pine needles in July. Plus with two dogs and a cat, you can bend the ends of the branches over the baubles to prevent them being knocked off and used for playtime.

15. <h2>" Go to Elvedon Forest if you're in Suffolk - they have real elves to help you pick the right tree! "
    </h2>Yes, and real students from Thetford to break into your car while you wait

16. We always have a real tree, about 7 feet tall. I trim some of the more straggly branches and the shorten all the brancehes at the back because we put the tree up against french windows. This way the tree doesn't intrude into the room so much and the lights reflect off the glass. Having said that it's Mrs h who wants the tree, I wouldn't bother.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Best tree we ever had was the one when it snowed on the Saturday we had planned to fetch it. Car couldn't get off the drive so blazer major (aged about 8) and I set off with the sledge for the farm. No cars at all on the roads. Picked the tree, put it on the sledge and pulled it all the way home through the snow! Took us about 2 hours but it was the best tree ever. When we got it home we had to shake it in the garden to get all the snow off before bringing it indoors. Blazer major still reminds us of it every year.

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've had a fake tree for the last 9 years or so. This year we have bought a real one. It is planted in a pot and small enough that it should do us next year too.
    It was looking great until my cheap rubbish Christmas Lights stopped working. We will have to get some more at the weekend - not from The Range!

19. fantastischfish

I eventually decided to go for a fake one. I wanted to invest in a really good quality one that looks great. I also wanted to tall tree, because the 6ft ones never really seem to be 6ft.
    So I went to a nearby garden centre today and bought a tree. It's pre-lit so it has lots of lights on it (I hate sparsely-lit trees) and it DOES look very nice.
    However, I can't help feeling like I've spent too much money. How much would you be prepared to spend on a good quality, 7ft 6" tree? I'm beginning to panic and think about tking it back!
    Eva (the wimp)

20. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

we normally spend about &pound;35 on an 7' tree.
    I wouldn't bother with one at all
    but I don't get to wear the christmas tree trousers.
    I expect they would chafe so that's okay.