1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The REAL Book Thread.

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Phoenixchild, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

For those of us who love the feel and smell of real books.
    Because of 20 topics, 8 on this page are Kindle related.
    Just because...a thread to celebrate real books and the k word is not allowed!xx
    [​IMG]

2. Both are fabulous. But I love to read in a hot bath and real books will at least dry on a radiator :p
    Plus, you can't find first-edition, signed by the author copies of texts in a digital format.
    And our house would look VERY different without our copious shelves of books.

3. Phoenixchild

I wish TES had a like button.xx
    [​IMG]

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

May I please have permission to enjoy both real books and also the not-to-be-mentioned-K-word books too?
    I collect childrens' books - school and evangelical stories. I love the feel and smell of a real book. I love to see a child's name painstakingly printed on the front end-paper. I love to see a label proclaiming that the book was a reward for a whole year unbroken attendance at Sunday School, or a prize for English at school.
    However, some of the titles are increasingly difficult to find. And even if I did find them then the price is prohibitive. A few of these are available on the Kin....oops sorry it almost slipped out!...at reasonable cost.
    And then some books are completely out of print. Impossible to get in this country. Not only can I get them on the You-Know-What but I can get some of them for free.
    The what can i call it?,,,the 'device' will never take the place of real books, but it does have its own place.
    I don't want to ever see a world without real books but I also love the 'device' (not only for books but for the other stuff it can do too!)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is it an Ann Summersy sort of a thing then?

6. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I've just come back to TES book club after some years 'away' and I'm quite disappointed to find that so many threads are about buying and using Kindles rather than discussing the books themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in owning a Kindle, but it's a means to an end, not an end in itself.
    I've just spend a wonderful afternoon browsing charity bookshops: a disappearing pleasure when we all own Kindles. Anyone want to know what I bought? I'll tell you anyway - The Corrections by Jonathan Frazen, My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey and The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Any suggestion on which I should read first (although Peter Carey may be coming on holiday with me)?

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I love finding second hand books, they're cheap, smell funny and have odd comments in the margins (sometimes).

8. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Just brilliant. I introduced my teenagers to it this year and they love dit too. It's been a while since I read it but I'm laughing now just remembering one bit (with a bicycle, of course!). I can't say more it would spoil it.
    Enjoy
    (Don't know the others.)

9. Well done PC, I've been getting frustrated by the domination of Kindle threads too. How many threads are needed to discuss the same thing!
    I've just come back from a lovely relaxed holiday, and I've had so many people tell me I should take a Kindle, but I love the feel of a real book, and I can swap it with someone else when I'm done with it! Also, I wouldn't feel that comfortable with such an expensive piece of kit on the beach.
    Read 10 books during my holiday, and I don't begrudge the space in the suitcase one bit!

10. I love real books especially when they are as gorgeous as these [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Underachiever

Ok pibydd, I'll take you at your word, The Third Policeman it is. I have a list of books I'm on the lookout for in charity shops and this one isn't on it, but it looked so quirky and offbeat I just couldn't resist. I have another book on the go at the minute, but I'll let you know how I get on.

12. Phoenixchild

I have almost finished Cloud Atlas, loving it. Got at least a hundred more real books to go at before I have to buy new.
    Even hub is starting to acknowledge what a waste of time and money the K was though he still lives in hope that I will use it when we go on holiday....
    I think even that vain hope is waning.
    So glad by the way that others feel the same about REAL books.xx
    [​IMG]

13. Real books every time. I love the feel of them, the weight of them, the smell of second hand ones.....everything. I love a pile of unread books next to my bed. I love the anticiption of going to spend my book tokens. I am an addict!

14. Phoenixchild

Me too cosmos, the store detectives in Waterstones know me now and barely give me a second glance, even when I've been there over an hour.xx
    [​IMG]

15. (Sorry if all this has been said before on one of the (many) Kindle threads...)
    The only books I see for Kindle are either recently new, very popular or classics. Altho' I haven't got one, if you prefer using it to reading real books it must limit yr reading, surely?
    Also no second hand bargains and surprises.
    Also also I love finding things like old airport tickets in second hand books (latest find was a ticket to the ruins at Petra half in Arabic) or reading the first few pages of a brand new book.
    So, good luck to you if you do get summat out of yr Kindle, but it's not for me...

16. Do you just mean new books, or some other? Ta.

17. Some new - although our local car boot is quite good for new books. A few obscure ones. Lots of independent bokks, that people have self published on Amazon for free, or on the Smashwords website - again self published so lots are free. And you don't need a (nameless machine) to read them. (Don't get me wrong though, a LOT are rubbish ;) ).

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A love of real books and a love of the Kindle should not be not mutually exclusive!
    I love both....I quite simply love reading!
    I buy real books and devour them eagerly! I have real books on my Amazon wish list. I can't get out much these days, but love to visit old book shops (and modern ones!)
    But, I could look for years in 2nd-hand book shops and not find the missing 'Elsie' books for my collection....I can get them today on my Kindle - and it is a bonus that many of them are free! If, in the future I found the missing titles as real books I'd want them too!
    I also know a few writers who publish their works solely as e-books ( a cheap form of vanity publishing!). A couple of these authors are IMHO amazingly talented in writing their particular genre. I love having their works available on my Kindle.
    Anything that encourages reading is surely good?

19. Bethannie I absolutely agree!

20. Underachiever

I do agree, there's nothing wrong with Kindles. I will probably get one myself once my reading pile has gone down a bit (sometime this century then). I am also waiting to see whether they will come down in price, maybe after Christmas. What I find just a tad disappointing is the ratio of threads devoted to owning/using kindles and those discussing what's on them.