1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Real Ale Club

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Feb 17, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

or two...

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Can you still get Gibbs and Mew Bishop's Tipple? I can recall (vaguely) sessions in Dorset where this was imbibed! IIRC it was 1097 original gravity!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ruddles County Ale and Fuller's London Pride were personal favourites in my youth. I still occasionally partake for nostalgia's sake.

I also liked (now defunct) Greenall Whitley's Wem Ale.

If travelling in France, Biere du Demon is worth a try, not least for being a formidable 12%.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of our local hosteleries, the C_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Arms, sometimes has Timmy Taylor Landlord on tap Baubs. Those are the weekends when all of our dog walks take us in that direction. Want me to let you know next time?

5. Wadsworths do a Bishops tipple, Blazer. Is that the same one?
    Another London Pride fan ...nice one Surfy.

Perhaps we should nominate one beer and all buy a bottle on Saturday so that we can all compare notes . A bit like a book club but with ale.

6. Just for the one then , BS. :¬))

7. I like London Pride but Timmy Taylor's is lovely. Our local sells it and it's their most popular.
    I quite like those organic pale ales - in an odd-shaped bottle and brewed by monks (or something like that) Peter something-or-the-other? I've completely forgotten the name of it despite having a bottle or two almost every Friday night.
    My husband likes Tanglefoot and Biship's Finger especially although, to be fair, he's not really that fussy!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I spent four student summers excavating at Carisbrooke Castle on the IoW - London Pride was our favoured tipple on our days off, and we used to scour the island with a CAMRA guide trying to find it. Knocking it back evokes happy sunlit memories for me.

9. modelmaker

It's quite low in alcohol though, isn't it? Our local has replaced the Speckled Hen with Harvey's Sussex. Both very decent brews. I can't see why they don't keep both and if necessary for bar space chuck out one of the lagers.

10. modelmaker

Can you suggest a good ale that's available nationwide?

11. Tell us what is tomorrow night then, poeme...preferably before you neck it.
    Memories are made of such things, surfy. you have just evoked a memory of mine...sitting in a field after an all night party watching the sun come up. Listening to 96 degrees in the shade by Third World with a bottle of rather potent home brew and a rather nice young lady by the name of Philly....:¬))

12. Right that's it! I don't normally go out on Thursday but the thought of all that TT landlord in the Dr. Syntax being drunk by less deserving souls than myself is more than I can bear. I 'll have to sally forth and retrieve the situation.

13. How about Fursty Ferret, MM. It seems quite extensive.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I was trying to tell people about this at the last brum meet.

[​IMG]

I quiet enjoyed the [​IMG]ruby red.

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'd be up for that, Baubs!

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Go forth and slurp, dekka!
    Canny little boozer, the Dr Syntax.

17. Sorry Grandelf, crossed post there. Glad there's another fan of the liquid nectar out there [​IMG]

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

my line manager bought me a few bottles as a thank you for getting them out the brown smelly stuff earlier in the year. Not normally a 'ale' drinker but really enjoyed those.

19. modelmaker

Never heard of it and I'd wager I've supped more ales than you have, Sonny. Who makes it?