1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Real Ale Club

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Feb 17, 2011.

1. bnm

bnm

Being married to some such soul I can confidently recommend a visit to the Station Inn in Whitby. Always has a range of 10 real ales and open fires to boot.
    The Man Who Knows says they are very good.

2. Mrs. Dekka frequents Costco far more regularly than I care for. However she always mollifies me by bringing back a case of Celebration Ales. Two each of Oxford Gold, Marston's Pedigree, Banks's Bitter, Jennings Cumberland Ale, Old Thumper and Wychwood Hobgoblin all for about £14. Gerrin!

3. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Anybody in the vicinity of Derby should really be a regular at the Brunswick assuming it is still serving up its own brews (including recession ale and the wonderful triple hop) and about 14 others. The Flowerpot was always good and for a great jukebox and some Timmy Taylor Landlord the Compton Arms was always a favourite. Have not been in a good three or four years so any news that they are still worthwhile would be welcome.
    In Brum the Anchor was always my haunt of choice along with the Lamp. Both were still all present and correct last year.....

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I had a pint of sour tetley the other day. It is easy to forget how bad beer used to be but it all came flooding back.

5. bnm, if The Man Who Knows enjoys ale at The Tap & Spile (Sorry, can't quite bring myself to call it The Station!), he might like the local ales on offer at The Middle Earth and the selection of ever-changing ales at The Endeavour. Both on the East side. The Endeavour is tiny but has a strong affinity with the lifeboat, which is a good enough reason to show patronage!

6. Music to my ears!
    Friday and Saturday evening in the "Dr. Syntax" at Stocksfield drinking TT Landlord... sheer bliss. <>
    Roll on tomorrow evening!

7. We shall be up Whitby way in August so will march into the Tap and Station and tell them that poddy and Mr.BNM sent us. :&not;))

Dekka...Timmy Taylors is planned for next week.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oh heck. Nostalgia. I could not tell you the last time I had some proper "real ale". I do not frequent pubs, and I find bottle beer way too gassy. One 330ml bottle is generally too much wind for me, and its sterilised muck anyway.
    Oh for me student days of a skinful on a friday and saturday night!

9. You want to try some stuff from a micro brewery near you...bottled beer has come a long way since the 70's. :&not;))

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Then a visit to the New Inn & Cropton brewery near Pickering is essential as well. http://www.newinncropton.co.uk/brewery.htm I tried all six ales, some of them twice when I stayed there and all were excellent.
    If, on the other hand you want to find out what the best real ale tastes like, you'd need to vist a London pub selling Fullers ESB on tap. The Jack Horner on Tottenham Court Road serves it excellently kept.

11. the trouble with drinking strange brews in strange pubs is..

a) You forget the name of the beer
    b) You forget the name of the pub
    c) You forget which way is up and prove Newton wrong.

I'm quite partial to a pint og London Pride though ,MM.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Look out for this beautiful drop on your travels (and in the supermarket):
    http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm
    Innis & Gunn rum cask finish oak aged beer. It's strong stuff though, so gaan canny!

13. I'm assuming you had a quick draft whilst typing that sentence as the the last few words went all b oll ocks. :&not;))

14. Only beardies need apply.

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

How did you know about my beard, sea_pink!! [​IMG]

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm perfectly capable of typing bawlocks without the aid of strong drink, Baubs! [​IMG]

17. A bit like Rose then, manny.
    Having said that, Rose, apart from the grey bits , you have a fine bit of facial growth going on there yourself. Fancy a Bishops finger?

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

they wont serve me till Im bigger than the real ale badges on the pumps

[​IMG]