1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rapidly changing Prep School world...

Discussion in 'Independent' started by sarge1985, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have an interview this week for a Director of Studies position at a small Prep School. I've been working on a presentation called 'The Role of the Director of Studies in a rapidly changing Prep School world and wondered if anyone had any extra insight on how the prep school world has changed and is changing?

Thanks

2. Hi,

I have an interview this week for a Director of Studies position at a small Prep School. I've been working on a presentation called 'The Role of the Director of Studies in a rapidly changing Prep School world and wondered if anyone had any extra insight on how the prep school world has changed and is changing?

Thanks

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

My main thought would be about boarding. We now only have boarders two nights a week, mainly just in the 6th form doing a night or two to prepare for going to board weekly in their senior schools. Not quite sure how this would relate to a Director of Studies role.
    You coud think about how any changes to the national curriculum would affect the school.

4. Ireton

Ireton New commenter

How do you prepare the children for a rapidly changing world? Do you follow a traditional curriculum or adopt and encourage languages more suited to the emerging markets. How do you involve PSHE and a holistic approach to educational development of prep school pupils? How do you marry the requirements of ISEB/Independent Curriculum and the IB? Small prep school -how do you meet demsnds of fussy parents, how are you going to face the possible challenge from Academy schools? Good luck!

5. Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated. A few good thoughts to think on...

6. This is very interesting. Why not summarise your points after your hopefully successful application!

My initial thoughts were about environmental scanning too, but obviously it is not mainly about keeping an eye on the competition. It is about providing a good student experience so that brothers and sisters and their offspring will return to the school. And I would emphasise that one should take good practice wherever it occurs: a local comp, a business or even an international school abroad.

7. What a sad judgement on English Prep Schools! I've worked in 2 very innovative ones where new initiatives were very much welcomed although often Prep Schools have financial constraints which means they can't put in the technology that the Government lavishes on State schools - at least not all in one go...I must have been very lucky to have worked mainly with fantastic and creative staff who have a real committment to the school and its pupils. Don;t write us all off please1