1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The ‘rant about your family’ thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cheesypop, Apr 4, 2020.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

In these difficult times, we are all spending more time locked up with our nearest and dearest than ever before. It’s fair to say that those little things that may have slightly irked you before may now be driving you up the wall.
    So, share. This is free therapy. What’s really getting on your ****?

*I know that some people will be on their own, or will be wishing that their loved one was still around even if it meant they were around annoying them. This is not meant to diminish how they may be feeling, it’s just a light hearted rant*

2. cheesypop

I’ll start.
    Crumbs.
    Wipe down the surface. Don’t just bloody leave them there!! Can’t you see them?? Are they invisible????

Jamvic, towncryer, Jesmond12 and 7 others like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Believe me there is nothing light hearted about being locked up with a teenager for two weeks.
    Slowly losing the will.
    Somebody already posted "you need to love them, you need to accept them, you need to ask them "what do you need? Remember it is a confusing time for them at the best of times""

Yeah yeah yeah. Just stop answering back though.
    I know it's my fault too, I also bring part of the conflict to the table, namely that I have never in my whole career enjoyed kids in Year 10 or Year 11. I've just found them to be difficult, obstructive, willful, up themselves. KS3, fine. Sixth form, fine. But, to be honest here, KS4 age is predominantly objectionable to me in terms of the persona they tend to present. And that is where my kid is. So my demons are clearly in the mix too.
    Generalisation much.

It could be worse, mind, I get that-
    I could be married
    :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Bit sick of constantly asking/telling the other house-dwellers to pick up their **** and put it away. Same old same old, but worse because it's 24/7 now. Not terrible, compared to what other people will be experiencing, but definitely causing low-level resentment. I keep putting piles of things on the bottom stair so people can't fail to see them, but they get stepped over. If I don't ask/tell, it doesn't get done. Very tiresome.

Jamvic, Alice K, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

OH always leaving a mess in the kitchen after making his lunch, he never puts dishes etc in the dishwasher.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is disconcertingly familiar.
    I think this is where the system falls down.
    You are being too helpful. Actually you need to be obstructive.
    Used cups, socks, plates, books, chargers, hoodies, any personal artefacts-you need to put them in the bed of the person who owns them
    Furtively, efficiently.
    Every time.
    Bottom of the stairs is no cause for thought, because people are already in transit, running past that spot. There is no intrinsic reason to stop and pick it up.
    In the bed-that's different. That's a destination in itself.
    Maximum inconvenience.

(Actually I tried this once, and tbh it was not really worth the tears in the end.)

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Why don't they stop chewing the carpet? and pulling the wallpaper down? Also please please please stop weeing behind the settee.

8. Corvuscorax

Its just me and 3 cats here. In some ways, maybe I'm lucky

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

:eek:

Who?
    Who does this in your house?!

Edit-"cats" was posted after my question.

I had initially thought "boy, you've really got troubled kids, for somebody who habitually only ever posts equable sweetness"

Grandsire, Jamvic, catmother and 2 others like this.
  10. Corvuscorax

@skrobson - read my next post!

( although some of my previous foster children...)

sorry you are having such a hard time.

Jamvic, cheesypop and sbkrobson like this.
  11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oh it is...let me tell you a little story in a similar vein...

Spirit:Oi Klutz, empty the bloody bath will you.
    Klutz: I'm going to top it up again in an hour as my back is giving me jip
    Spirit: But you won't will you, you'll just forget and I'll have to go shoulder deep in cold water to get the plug out (it used to have a chain but that got Klutzified)

The following day Spirit realises the bath is still full of water and Klutz's back must be better as he's been crouched over a computer screen for the last 18 hours chopping down trees and making imaginary bases. and not gone 'ooooouuuch' once.

So, that was the start of bathwatergate. Me determined not to empty it and Klutz doing that 'not being able to notice there's a bath full of cold water' thing. I had to recruite Number Two Son as his will is not as strong as mine and he'd have just emptied it for a quiet life.

Some six weeks later, the water had developed a skin of dust and grime and I might have had to have a little shout. He did actually empty it but I recall hearing the words 'petty' as he stomped past.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you.
    I am not having a hard time in the big scheme of things.
    Apart from the viral threat itself, there are many under incredible strain
    "parent of small kids and no garden".
    and
    "reliant on daily care which is no longer daily"
    and
    "alone and not coping"

Teenage strops and stinky cat deposits are nothings really.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and cheesypop like this.
  13. cheesypop

I know the issues seem petty, but they are there and sharing is good!

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm sorry, but :D:D:D:D

You see, I live on my own - have done all my adult life!
    And I'm so glad - especially now!!
    And I'm afraid your post made me laugh :oops:

I shall come back to this thread for my daily chuckle! (she says smugly).

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Oh Chelsea, I have loads along similar lines. I'll ration them though.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Errrmm.... just me and the ball and chain. Getting on fine. I had A Word last week along the lines of "I make your bed and pick your clothes up and clear away after you in the kitchen because you are at work all day and I am not. But now we're both at home, I want you to not make this house a s---hole, or we will be falling out."
    So far he is cooperating. He didn't need to issue any such diktat to me because I'm already perfect.

17. Corvuscorax

I don't think they are petty

Jamvic likes this.
  18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’m pretty lucky in that my daughters live independently with their partners elsewhere and both sets of parents are no longer with us so it’s just me and my husband indoors. He does have an irritating habit of coming in and leaving a trail of his possessions on the kitchen work surfaces: keys, wallet, work passes, phone, phone charger, loose change, etc. I recently found a very useful wooden box labelled ‘stuff’ in TKMAXX, which I have put on the work surface nearest the door. I now shove all his odds and ends in it - problem solved! :cool:

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We all got a bit ars ey with each other last week but we're back on an even keel now. I've decided not to worry at all about what my son is doing, or rather not doing. I'm rejoicing that he is more than happy to stay in his room. It would be lovely if my husband or son would tidy up a bit, but at least they put their dirty clothes in the basket and say thank you when I make a cake. We're lucky to be able to spread out. I feel so sorry for families cooped up in a flat with no garden.

20. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

OK, then.Crumbs, mess, stepping over anything on the bottom stair:yes, yes and yes.

But noisy eating tops them all. And eating whatever it is noisily and so, so, so slowly. I will commit an act of violence against husband and teen daughter if they dare to continue this filthy, rank, untoward behaviour. I will. Warning issued.