1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Rainbow Fish!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tinkeranabell, May 29, 2010.

1. Hi,
    In a couple of weeks I am using The Rainbow Fish as a focus for a week with a reception class. Has anyone got any ideas for activities I could use? Also does anyone have a power point or a link where I can get the story for the IWB? Thank u!

2. Hi,
    In a couple of weeks I am using The Rainbow Fish as a focus for a week with a reception class. Has anyone got any ideas for activities I could use? Also does anyone have a power point or a link where I can get the story for the IWB? Thank u!

3. Hi, I used this text with an ICT focus, whilest I didn't find a powerpoint on the Kent trust ICT website there is a lovely activity to create your own rainbow fish using paint. We created a fab display with our fish. The children were then interested in the other creatures under the sea so we looked at information books to find different facts about sea creatures.
    I also had lots of large shells at home (the sort you'd find on a Caribbean beach!!) and star fish which we looked at using magnifying glasses. Lots of the children brought in their own shells too and then we sorted them.... we had a lot of fun with this story and the children got a lot out of it.

4. Hiya, we had a fantastic week with the Rainbow Fish as a stimulus.
    Some of the activities we did;
    - I made a 'special' scale that the children shared with each other throughout the week. I started off with the scale and 'secretly' gave it to a child who I saw being 'kind', that child kept it in their pocket until they saw someone being kind and passed it onto them. I was wary as how well the children would do this but it as a huge success and the children responded well and took care of the scale as though it as a precious stone!
    -Chalking a huge Rainbow Fish in the outdoor area - working as a team with everyone colouring in a scale each.
    -Mixing different coloured water together to investigate new colours we could make.
    -Looking at the world through different coloured lenses
    -Made a moving Rainbow Fish, coloured a Fish body and added a moving fin using split pins - good for fine motor development and scissor control
    -Used Communication 4 All resources - the Maths workbook went down well and had some lovely activities - thanks Bev!
    -Children made the characters from the story and stuck them onto lollipop sticks to make their own story up
    -Collage Rainbow Fish using different materials and then looking for anything sparkly for the 'special scales'
    -A Rainbow Fish CD-Rom that I had in school - children used on the whiteboard - magical.
    -Independent writing task involved children drawing something special that they would share with their friends and labelling it
    I know we had a packed out week and the children thoroughly enjoyed all activities - if I think of anymore I will add them. Hope your week goes well - it is a fantastic story!

5. Thank you so much! All fantastic ideas! x

6. Here is a tutorial to make this Rainbow Fish lantern:
    [​IMG]
    And I have put a free Rainbow Fish diagram cut and stick activity on my blog too :)
    learning parade