1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The rain in the drain is quite a spending pain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Dec 1, 2018.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So there I am perusing the fine details of my annual water bill summary (as you do) and OK, our house averages 120 litres a day (about 5 days' consumption in our camper van). I can live with that, or maybe less if we flush the bog less frequently and switch the dishwasher to Eco. It says the average for a 2 person household is 276 litres a day so we're doing alright.

OK, I understand that the bulk of the above ends up in the sewer, so we pay for it to be taken off the premises.

But hold on, what's this £101.92 a year I pay for rainwater to be taken away? I have water butts on every downpipe and one of those drains into a soakaway. It took the best part of 2 months for my waterbutts to refill during the summer, so it looks like I've been paying United Utilities to remove non-existent summer rain from Surfbus Towers.

Apparently you can claim a discount but only if every downpipe goes into a soakaway or a natural watercourse. The garden of my loud powertools obsessed neighbour over the back hedge is looking increasingly like a soakaway to me. :)

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Is this true? I could claim a discount? All of my downpipes do go into the ground. I’ll be looking into this further.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

In our new build the rainwater is going into a big tank which will be used to flush the loos. We will not be connected to the mains sewage either so should save lots of pennies Current house has only one down pipe going into the sewer the other 2 go into water butts then the overflow is the pond and the stream at the bottom of the garden.