1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The "Queen" hits 90 and we want to ditch her? POLL

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Jan 4, 2016.

?

Should England ditch God Save The Queen at sporting events and replace it with A N Other?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. None. I appreciate all opinions.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Not sure. Convince me.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I thought land of hope and glory (or something similar)was played rather than God save the queen at intra uk events.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Out of kindness, I'd wait before she was dead before changing it. But then, I'd do that for my granny - I'm not a royalist.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Do Scotland actually have ONE. Some sporting events are Scotland the Brave and some are Flower of Scotland, are they not?

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've never heard Scotland the Brave sung at sporting events. Not that I watch many.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is the singing of it keeping her alive?

Lascarina and Middlemarch like this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

No, I imagine that's more to do with the no doubt excellent health-care she receives.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Maybe we should have one that goes "God save the Queen's doctors" then.

ScotSEN likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Mmm, maybe not. :- )

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Her Maj does a grand job. The National Anthem is what it is...OUR National Anthem. Leave well alone.

lexus300 likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You dont have a no box so your poll is biased.its or anthem if you dont like it move somewhere else.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

My understanding is that God Save the Queen is the UK national anthem. Therefore it should not be played as the English national anthem.

grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

As of now, I remain unconvinced

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The Queen mum had a special team of fish bone removers who saved her from death. She used to get a lot of fish bones stuck in her throat and the doctors were always on hand to attend to her. (or so the story goes)

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It's either all use the 'National Anthem', or all have their own anthem, surely?

But perhaps that's too simplistic. Don't the England rugby team have 'Swing Low etc' (I don't follow sport much, as you can probably tell)

16. grumpydogwoman

The England rugby FANS sing "Swing Low" but GSTQ is played as the anthem before the match.

17. grumpydogwoman

@oldsomeman is right The poll is flawed. Should have paid more attention.

I think GSTQ is fine for the UK or GB (what's the difference again - I'm horribly Anglocentric, I confess) but, if Scotland and Wales have something different, England ought to have something distinctively English.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Ah, thank you. I don't suppose I'm qualified to judge.

Although I think if I was Scots/N Irish/Welsh I might be a bit teed off tbh

19. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

cissy3 likes this.
  20. notabene

notabene Occasional commenter

If the choice is Snow Patrol then no. Even if the bill is passed which is unlikely it will only affect England and the IFA can do what they like.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...ps-bill-is-passed-by-parliament-34333378.html

btw you will find out more about Northern Ireland news in Northern Ireland papers rather than ones from the republic.