1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Queen and her reign.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by onmyknees, Sep 6, 2015.

1. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

It maybe because we've only just gone back to school, but there has been no mention of doing anything with the children about celebrating/ acknowledging this piece of living history.

Are you doing anything to mark it in your school?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What exactly do you mean?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I expect onmyknees is referring to the fact that The Queen becomes the longest reigning monarch on 9th September.

There doesn't seem be many resources available to celebrate the occasion (I believe the Queen has asked for it all to be very low key).

I found these from a Google search:

The Church of England have published a prayer for Wednesday.

Activity village have some colouring pages.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

One of our local pubs is the Queen Victoria in Rottingdean. In there on Sunday evening, we jokingly asked if they were going to change the name to the Queen Elizabeth.

They aren't but they are, rather brilliantly I thought, going to have a special 'wake' to mark the occasion on Wednesday evening

Not much help to the OP, sorry, but it made me laugh.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Oh, how exciting! It would be a good topic for the day's assembly.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think there's lots of mileage in (for example) what it was like to be the children's age when the Queen came to the throne and the changes we've seen (technology, etc) since then.