1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst in no way minimalizing your health issues I understand what you're saying there Didactylos4.

Having had to leave teaching unexpectedly (and not by choice :(), 2 years on however I realise that I would no longer want to return to teaching as it is now. :(

Doesn't stop me still caring about education though, hence my still posting on here.;)

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Well said Belle. I would add that it is not just the pupil going through death by test, so are teachers. Constant scrutiny of all the kinds mentioned, feels like you are under test conditions all the time. No one can sustain that level of stress indefinitely. I also could not morally continue to teach in a way that I felt was deeply wrong and at times felt like child cruelty. I haven't got the choice of returning to teaching as it made me so ill, but I wouldn't anyway.
    My new job is so much more supportive and I feel I make a difference. My first performance management was a revelation. I was asked what skills I wanted to develop, it was all about me, the real me. Forget 3 stars and a wish, in teaching teachers are lucky if they get 1 star, the rest is a list of wrongs.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

That's the same with me and the job I'm starting on Monday.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That would be the one in the title of the discussion.. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

What a terrific post and how true this is

BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yep, got to agree with you on that one.....and I qualified in '07.

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Erm still can't find a question, only a statement... other than "what evidence?" In the first post... o_O

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Depends on how you read it I guess
    But have it your own way, I'm not going to argue about it

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

And why we end up going off sick with stress etc....

BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. needabreak

Well not arguing... I might have missed the whole point of the thread if there was a question.

11. josienig

josienig Senior commenter

Yes we escaped Ophelia up here..sadly, others suffered her wrath. Three people were killed by falling trees and c.21,000 premises in the South/ South East are still without electricity..and the Brian
    fe cker is on his way tomorrow.

But in relation to adding more words I'll use much poetic license for the thread that's in it:

'..And righteous people must make our land
    For education once again'

(@racroesus I've heard the song many times but it's only tonight that I've looked at the lyrics..the only bit I recognise is the chorus o_O)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Wot Mary said. :(

I was also driven out of teaching. Many older teachers at my former school were forced out by foul means following the appointment of a new HT. We were, without exception, replaced by young teachers or NQTs with no knowledge of "better" times. Teaching there has now become a job delivered from a script by unquestioning drones. The few remaining older staff have learnt to keep their heads below the parapet. Individuality and autonomy are now dirty words.

marymoocow likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Don't want to 'like' that post rosie.

I wasn't aware you were one of the 'disappeared' too.:( My former colleagues are well aware of 'watching their backs and keeping a low profile'. ;)

marymoocow likes this.
  14. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's a sorry state of affairs, isn't it? Unhappy and fearful staff, worked into the ground, will not make schools enjoyable places. I feel sorry for children having to endure the state of education as it now is, and for the teachers whose lives are made hellish being jerked about on strings trying to meet the latest demands and fancies dropped down from on high. Life is too short.

15. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Senior commenter

There's another aspect to this that is possibly the final nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned.

Love of subject is one of the things that has always motivated me. In my spare time I read around it and it doesn't feel like work.

However, the new 'A' level course is joylessly and absurdly content-driven, and pretty much impossible for me to get through in two years without compromising both the integrity of my teaching style and the subject itself with simple cramming.

The GCSE is slightly better but substantial chunks of it are simply dull and boring.

So I could be looking to get out by the end of this academic year.

Where those new, 'tougher' 'A' level courses are concerned, I also doubt that the raising of standards will make all that much difference for many of those wishing to get into higher education. The less prominent universities are still going to want bums on seats, so unless a particular course is in high demand they'll accept applicants who end up with grades that are substantially lower than their original offers.

blazer, lanokia, marymoocow and 2 others like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

An ever increasing trend over the last 10 years or so from KS3 upwards (and probably below too, but I'm not au-fait with primary). Dry, dull and often pretty pointless content added to increase "rigour" at the expense of making the subject less engaging and interesting. I suspect it is this way to simplify marking and so have less interpretation from the marker, the assessment tail wagging the curriculum dog.

Ah yes, when I applied in 1980 EE was the required minimum for some establishments / courses, this minimum being set by the grant awarding bodies that paid for the course. There was quite a selection if you weren't fussy.

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  17. needabreak

Then there's the north south divide in higher education, which if true would make southerners simply more able... if some folk are to be believed.:rolleyes:

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  18. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

How often do I hear the phrase " I'm sorry its my fault " coming from a teacher , because they are scared that if they actually put the onus on the students to behave/ hand in work / follow instructions , SLT will undermine them in front of the student .
    The pendulum has swung too far now .
    Only yesterday I was in a year 7 class and I thought that I had been teleported in to a PRU or a school in the 70s with behavioural / mental / emotional health unit.
    We have students who bring funding actually saying I have funding, I have problems , you can't make me do anything I don't want to do . And then they have workers in school who through their actions actually back up that student and validate their behaviour.
    Like Belledujour I have no problem with students who have difficulties but I DO have a problem with those who choose to use it as an excuse to opt out of school life or basically will not do as they are told . I shudder to think what their lives will turn out like.
    This thread is timely as although I'm only an assistant I have had enough of being sworn at, undermined etc, so over the half term I need to think about my options . I feel that I am now at odds with how the school deals with behaviour e.g. Excusing poor behaviour and rewarding it instead of being told you do what is asked of you or there will be consequences.
    For some of them the first consequence they face will be in front of a magistrates court or worse.
    It's a shame because there are those who genuinely want to do well, need support and are willing to work but all too often it's the behavioural mob that get the attention.
    Rant over now to enjoy half term .

red_observer and NoseyMatronType like this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Even in Primary these days everything has become 'data-driven, with much less freedom and certainly Upper KS2 seem just to 'prepare for SATS'. :(

20. Lara mfl 05

Sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving @Norsemaid, but can understand entirely your reasoning for wanting to do so.

needabreak likes this.