1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I wonder how many of us said the exact same thing at the time? Lots I expect.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Infuriatingly, this demand for 'evidence of everything' is unidirectional, from SMT to those of us on the 'chalk face', never the other way around. When the SMT foists yet another time-consuming, pointless, sometimes career-jeopardising, initiative on us, or gets some con-man of a CPD trainer to do it for them, they never produce any evidence as to their reason for doing so, or even any benefits it is supposed to have. Indeed, anyone who has the temerity to put that question to them is putting a target on their own foreheads.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed. Where they (consultants) do provide "evidence" it is secondary in nature and not investigated in context to any depth because it forms a quick fix bandaid of buzzwords without the longer term concerns being taken into consideration.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Isn't it just.
    And if I enter a slightly lower 'grade' for each student then the chances are they may do better and I might look 'good'.
    We did this in my last school and called it 'fudge factors'.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

All just a big game... oh 25% of them need to be under-performing, 25% over performing, 50% need to be within target ...

Drivel!

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

Buzzwords, acronyms.....and 'edubabble'.
    Don't get me started on that :mad:
    SMART
    WWI
    EBI
    DIRT tasks
    Learning walks
    INTER-fooking-VENTION
    Value added

And the rise in students 'diagnosed' with various disorders together with the rise in said disorders and if I had a pound for each and every one I'd be rich indeed.
    W T F is 'oppositional defiance disorder'? In my day it was a child who didn't do as they were told. Simple.
    Don't get me wrong......I have no problem with genuine learning disorders but it seems these days every child who does something different is classified with a learning disorder.
    We have to hand out merits for a child who manages to sit still for more than a nanosecond, yet have no sanctions.
    I despair.............this is not what I bought into when I trained as a teacher.

Oh yes.....and that PM target I had once of 'every lesson to be outstanding' :p:p:p:p:confused:

*checks out vacancies in John Lewis*

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I do hope you aren't, as is allegedly common nowadays, questioning the opinions of experts........ ;):D

The problem with the original question is not that we struggle to know where to start but where to finish.....:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

''Support programme'' [and not in any way a string of fiery hoops for you to leap through which even when successfully completed will suddenly unveil an unseen hoop which will be used to justify the knives you just found in your back while they smile]

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You beat me to it, Frank.

10. BelleDuJour

Then there's professional snooping aka 'learning walks' and 'work scrutiny'.
    Nothing to do with the students' learning or progression......just a net to trawl in evidence the teacher in not doing his/her job properly. It's NEVER to show how well the teacher is doing his/her job or how hard he/she is working.
    I got hauled over the coals once last year because, on return to work from broken ankle, a student's folder did not contain all her work. I was deemed at fault for not teaching properly when it was her fault for ripping the work out and not filing it correctly. I could prove this as I had records of my teaching, and folders from her classmates but no, it was all my fault.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I suppose the best example I can give now is that, in spite of the life changing problems I have had over the past decade or so, there is the silver lining to them in that they prevented me from continuing to teach.
    I'm almost grateful for that

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Intervention used to drive me crackers. During lessons, I would have students trooping in and out, either on their way to, or on their way back from, some 'intervention' session. It seemed ludicrous to miss out on one core subject to do extra sessions in another.

I never understood what 'value-added' actually meant, as it always seemed to be something you were censured for not providing, but never given credit for it when you did.

SMT: "Student 'X' failed to meet his target C grade, i notice."
    Me: "He did improve from an F to a D over the course of the year, and he barely spoke English when he arrived."
    SMT: "That may be so but since it is not quantifiable, it is irrelevant to my point of why he did not achieve a C."

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

@josienig may supply more words if she escaped Ophelia.
    When boyhood's fire was in my blood
    I read of ancient freemen,
    For Greece and Rome who bravely stood,
    Three hundred men and three men;
    And then I prayed I yet might see
    Our fetters rent in twain,...

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But 'research shows...', as they say. I ended up at one meeting when our reptilian brains were being given an outing telling the training people that I most certainly didn't have a reptilian brain. I told them that I would brook no argument on the matter after 200,000,000 years of divergent evolution.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well said Belle, I am so glad I retired when I did. I still teach but in EFL, much more enjoyable and I enjoy the work.

16. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

We have entered a world where SOMEONE is to blame for something. It’s no longer an era when kids actually take responsibility for their own actions and we say “they are just kids” and don’t know what they are doing so the people in charge must know and guide them so if they fail then it’s naturally their fault....:eek: but then when they do well, they have worked really hard and followed the syllabus well and NO credit to the teacher because he/she has just realised the targets set and did it all on his/her own. Intervention/support lessons/revision periods are just detentions for the weaker kids,in the main, that gave no effect from the evidence. In fact there is no evidence they work. We are part of a society, which Blair encouraged, that the consumer or the stakeholders (in this case children) are always more important than the provider (in this case the teachers). We are down a road where there is no turning back. That’s why many are leaving, retiring early or just not joining in the first place. Is it a vocation? Not any more.

17. needabreak

I'm not sure I care anymore. We have to be realistic... there's more to life.

18. BelleDuJour

The thing is we DO care.
    That is why we are posting on here.

19. needabreak

Too much perhaps and certainly more than many students, some parents and the Govt. There is a danger that as teachers we get obsessed with the intricate details of providing an education and forget what it's for, what our role is and that there is in fact more to life... like ... well... life!

BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. needabreak

Sorry which question?