1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What a pity you missed the October 31st deadline! You don't owe year 11 anything.

Lara mfl 05, Moony and red_observer like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

I’m sure you are but up and down the country kids are running schools and SLT are weak and cowardly. You will find a role for your skills don’t worry @BelleDuJour

Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Thank you

Lara mfl 05 and red_observer like this.
  4. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

It's not easy for younger teachers. They have sympathies.

Likely to have university debts of £50,000 plus a mortage/rent plus the running of a car plus a family to feed. They have no choice but to spend thirty-five plus years in education. God knows what it'll be like by that time!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well surely your second/third careers as chef/TV host are only moments away?

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

For the second year in a row we have NO Trainees from ANY department in school

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That doesn't bode well for the future of teaching.:eek:

lanokia likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now you mention it... I can't think of any trainees in our place recently...

And the dept I'm in gets some of the best results on Progress 8 in the county.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

I'm not a teacher ,so I don't have it as tough as you teachers do - that I recognise , however, today I felt I was being told in no uncertain terms that you aren't worth much , and we need to do anything for a quiet life.
    Despite my best efforts to help a difficult student ( whom I was asked to work with) and pre planning, talkingthrough optins etc with their HOY , the student then demanaded that they have another TA because" They are better than you , and nicer ( then adding no offence ) . ,"
    I'd like to add I'm not there to be liked, but I am consistent and fair .
    The head got to hear abou t this and said the student was out of order and was to work with me .
    However the student kicked off again and the next thing I know the HOY put said student with the TA they wanted . To my knowledge HT doesn't know this .
    I feel undermined and a failure .

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Try not to take it personally, Norsemaid. This student probably feels they won't be pushed / expected to work as much as they do with you. Also, your spineless HoY is too much of a lazy wuss to want to have to deal with said student's mummy coming in to complain about the unhappiness of their little cherub.

Moony, Mangleworzle and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Norsemaid

Thank you Rosievoice, I haven't , but I'm expected to work with this student who now knows they can do whatever the heck they want! I feel useless in that regard .
    My ,one manager wasn't there today, do I tell them? Or leave it . This ain't the first time this happened with this particular HOY .

Lara mfl 05 and rosievoice like this.
  12. rosievoice

The HoY isn't worth much, failing to support a staff member against a spoilt brat. But, as you state, HoY has demonstrated previous "form" so there should be no surprise when they do it again.

Such short sightedness just builds problems for the future. If there is no solidarity amongst the staff (v the pupils) then respect and discipline will always be difficult to obtain. Eejits.

When I had an "interesting" year (aka violent and disruptive) I never gave a millimetre, ever. It was hard, and it was exhausting, but it would have been an awful year if I had wavered. Parameters, boundaries, standards, all are vital.

Will the HT be bothered that his instruction has been countermanded?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Norsemaid

Probably not, but I will say that i future. I will not work with said student again and if asked I'll say why .
    They do say that everything happens for a reason and I believe it's cementing a certain view I have been forming over time , so the best thing to do is pick a time when it suits me and get out . Today reinforced what I have been feeling for a while now eg something's will never change .
    Thanks again @rosievoice .

Moony likes this.
  14. rosievoice

So sorry, Norsemaid, but I recommend the digging of an escape tunnel. :(

Moony, Lara mfl 05 and Norsemaid like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

All these escape tunnels... there's a danger of seriously undermining the foundations... whole edifice could collapse...

Good.

16. Norsemaid

Eeek! I've noticed something and no, that wasn't me deliberately putting in a dreaded mistake , so sorry, my bad - only just noticed #naughtyipad .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

They'll be sectioned in hospital having had a break down by the time they are 35yrs old.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Norsemaid

You are so right @slingshotsally and it is so wrong.

It's wrong treating one another this way . I see NQTs arriving in September and by Oct half term the change in their physical appearance can be startling .
    Yes, the first few years are the worst that I recognise , as teaching is like learning to drive. When you pass your driving test you have proven that you can control and operate a car safely and are aware of risks and dangers and understand the mechanics of driving .However, I would say that you then learn to drive or become a driver the more you drive and experience different scenarios.

But I have observed decent new teachers ground down by unrealistic targets, being asked to do more than they can handle without guidance or support and set up to fail , particularly if they have their own ( good , creative ideas ) as opposed to being a "yes" person . I've seen it so many times .
    All in the name of academies that see education as a business , teachers as production staff and students as products on a conveyor belt to be packaged, boxed and shipped out .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. rosievoice

20. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

The trouble is @Norsemaid, kids get away with “I don’t like” and “I don’t want to do” because some students know they always get what they want or they throw their toys out the pram. You’ll get more respect from the other students if you stick to your guns. It’s not a popularity contest. But it’s not worth dwelling on. Really. One student out of how many do you/have you dealt with ? Sounds like you are dealing with difficult students on a one to one basis. That’s very intense.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.