1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

Me too. The how bit sickens me a lot.
    thats whet I feel as well. The Gestapo were amateurs compared to this lot.
    you are so right. Kids don’t seem to know much beyond their curriculum at all.

Dragonlady30 and lanokia like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

All so true...

Stood around at lunch, all of us slagging off the lessons we have to deliver to year 8. The module is terrible with bad lessons. And yet we deliver them... even though we all know they are sheet.

And why don't we complain? Because we'll be told we have to make our own new lessons then... and we just don't have the time with the marking workload.

red_observer likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

:D

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It was suggested to me today that I observe how one of the Gestapo officers manages the behaviour of one of the shitterati.
    I said 'what good would that do as shitterati will behave because it is a Gestapo officer'.
    Reply was 'hmm...you have a point'.

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

We called ours the Stasi. :(

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's not necessary for them to do so. Officially sanctioned success depends upon how well they can regurgitate certain aspects of the curriculum upon which they have been drilled and drilled. It would be a waste of their school years to actually have fun or learn something not ordained by the powers that be.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's better than I heard tbh. Our Stasi (nod to @rosievoice ) really just thought that they had better control skills and gravitas than other teachers ignoring the fact that the kids knew they could instantly kick them out / get parents in / shift classes etc.

It became something of a pyrrhic victory in later years to see the Stasi failing too to control the kids as the message that they could use their grade or even presence as a weapon against them.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of the strongest urge to punch someone I have ever experienced was when one of the Gestapo said to me "well he behaves for me." It's easy when you (a) don't actually have to teach them, (b) are built like a brick shithouse and (c) are a Gestapo member.

I am now in a selective Independent school. We don't get perfect behaviour but it is manageable. I actually teach my subject instead of cajoling the unwilling.

9. BelleDuJour

Indeed.
    Always has been.
    For me:
    a) I have to teach them
    b) am 5'1 and a little over 9 stone
    c) am a foot soldier.

10. red_observer

Sad isn’t it.

11. red_observer

Sad it’s come to this but yep!

12. BelleDuJour

on second thoughts I shall not say what I was going to say.......................

13. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Ofstapio.

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Lead commenter

The last 2 internal "promotions" I recall were of 2 of the most ineffectual teachers in the school but they were "Yes " people, sang from the correct song sheet and were happy to slither up the greasy pole. It was laughable to see them deal with some of our more challenging kids when they were on "senior staff patrol" (what a laugh that was ...."There there there little Johnny.... has that nasty Mrs *** been shouting at you again..... now you will return to the classroom and be good won't you..... here's a chocolate biccy for you...now off you go....don't disappoint me" all delivered in that false sotto voco voice - you know the kind that Thatcher developed) That bit about "Don't disappoint me " was used extensively by one SL.... at one time....it worked as they taught a large proportion of lessons...in fact they were an excellent classroom teacher but as new HT arrived with today's template for how to be a complete B. to one's staff and to rule by bullying and fear, they changed and sang from the song sheet we are all on here getting too familiar with. When they used that "Don't disappoint me" I used to nearly laugh out loud as it was patently obvious to anyone that the all too happy to cause mayhem kid didn't give two hoots about any disappointment they might feel!

15. red_observer

The problem with teaching is in many ways the problem with life...its unfair and you meet a lot of nasty creepy people.
    It is also a fact that people are prepared to be chit on if they allow it to be.
    the biggest problem is management don't like opinions and they see anyone with some guts, like me, to say things they don't like. They resent it.
    Yet teaching has provided me with so many good memories, of good kids ive taught, of some good people who have become my friends and of good things I think I have done to help other people. That will never change..
    However, there is still too much wrong with people who climb the greasy pole who are mostly, not all, selfish, nasty and downright horrid human beings.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  16. BelleDuJour

Agree @red_observer Have decied to hand in notice w.e.f 31 August 2018. If not sooner.

17. woollani

woollani New commenter

It is a wonder that supposedly intelligent people can ascend to senior positions and act as if the education system they represent and manage is fit for purpose.

lanokia, BelleDuJour and red_observer like this.
  18. red_observer

Very sad to hear it but your happiness and health always come first.

BelleDuJour and woollani like this.
  19. woollani

woollani New commenter

I am certain that your decision is the right one.

20. BelleDuJour

Thank you @red_observer.
    I'm being told 'they are just kids' and 'it's part of our job'.
    But to me thy are just rude and with no manners. There is no excuse. I do not need or want to go to work every day and deal with rudeness and lack of cooperation when I am trying to help improve their lot in life....and then be told it is my fault.
    I'm a very good teacher and it is education's loss, not mine.