1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with going to work only to have young people be rude to me. Not the ones who want to learn....they are fine. But the rest are just rude, belligerant and disrespectful. How many other jobs require you to be treated like this every day, yet still smile and do your best knowing many students treat school as a joke and spend most of their time going to the toilet (Some girls have periods that last all term!).
    I need wine, but it is only Monday.

2. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

you should never have to accept that however bad things are.
    Stay strong here and give your best, which I'm sure you do.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Drink enough wine and it'll be Friday before you know it.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

How did the job applications go?

5. BelleDuJour

Applications for an exit route are in progress.
    But nothing is quick.

6. BelleDuJour

Just clicked on the Behaviour Forum by accident.
    Just skim reading the threads makes me want to cry.
    What has gone wrong with education? Why are we in this mess? Why the f*** can't youngsters behave with any manners or respect?
    I really do want to crawl into a hole and cry.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Stay strong and get out as soon as possible, Belle.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certain you're not the only one feeling this way. :(

9. BelleDuJour

I've sent myself home this afternoon. Told my HoD I'd had enough and as I'm not teaching this afternoon I've signed out sick.
    Sick of kids being rude, not doing anything worthwhile, ruining the education of those who want to work.
    I shall rethink by tomorrow morning............

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Sounds like a plan.

Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stay strong Belle... sadly I have no magic bullet...

12. BelleDuJour

The way I feel at the moment is my salary could be tripled (and I'm UPS3) and it still wouldn't be enough to put up with this s h i t .
    It just doesn't change.
    Child A behaves badly.
    Child A given warning.
    Behaviour continues and/or escalates.
    Child sent out/to Hod/to SMT.
    Detention given.
    Report card issued.
    Parent phoned (risk of parent abusing staff at this point).
    SMT gives child A a b0llocking/pep talk/reward.
    Child A returns to lessons.
    Rinse and repeat.

13. red_observer

There are too many wan c r s in SLT. They are mostly creeps and cowards. They take the kids side always. They make teachers look small. I despise them as they climb the ladder. All of them with few exceptions. Horrible people.

14. BelleDuJour

You are not wrong there @red_observer.
    The higher up the greasy pole the less teaching they do. and the more they tell us how incompetent at teaching we are.

15. red_observer

exactly. i dont consider anyone in SLT as a friend or someone I can trust. their DNA is slyness and treachery,

slingshotsally and BelleDuJour like this.
  16. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

The entire system is madness. Across the past ten years the education system has become worse.

Your ability as a teacher is judged by conforming to a set of arbitrary expectations.

The rot started, I think, with the introduction of league tables. Essentially forcing schools to compete rather than working together.

17. red_observer

Absolutely. Market forces are alien to teaching children.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. BelleDuJour

A year 7 student brought me a cake today, all nicely boxed up. She knows I love baking. So kind.....it really made my day.

lanokia, red_observer, Moony and 2 others like this.
  19. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Indeed.

League tables were, I think, seminal to the marketisation of the classroom.

I have noticed, steadily and assuredly, the slow demise of my professionalism in the classroom. Most evident in the last decade. Not only am I told what I have to teach, but when and - perhaps the icing on the cake - how I have to teach.

I don't teach anymore and haven't for a number of years. I deliver lessons that have been approved by other people. These people have never met my classes or, in some cases, stepped foot into my school.

There are a lot of managers, too. We have four members of SLT who do not teach a single lesson. Let that sink. Our HoD has been recently appointed and her sole purpose is to ensure orders from above are followed swiftly and efficiently. She isn't a leader but a spy for other people.

Behaviour is poor and attitudes worse. I don't think the children are to blame. We are. We have provided an education service, which holds teachers accountable for the failure of pupils. Outcomes are the most important factor, that's the school's currency. Every year we celebrate our "BEST RESULTS EVER!" but nothing has changed or, indeed, got better. There are five other schools within a ten mile radius with similar sentiments splashed across the school fence.

William Goldman on film. Replace "entire motion picture field" with "education" and my thoughts succinctly delivered.

“Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.”

20. BelleDuJour