1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with teaching...........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 19, 2017.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've been teaching for almost 25 years.
    I've taught in grammars, comps, hell highs, indies....even a PRU. So it's fair to say I've seen it all.
    But nothing really has changed................except who gets the blame.
    Throughout my career there have been bright and not-so-bright students Hard workers and total slackers. By and large students get the grades they deserve and work for (some exceptions as is always the case).
    I've seen intervention after intervention, year after year, but nothing really changes.
    Apart from one thing.................it is now the teachers' fault. They are 'our' grades, 'our' targets. No longer the students' grades or targets. We have to email, record, write down in blood everything we do in order evidence what we have done, to satisfy whoever is now in charge of beating us with a large stick. It's no longer good enough to have a chat with a student....it must be planned, recorded, checked and assessed in triplicate.
    It's all about 'evidence'. Evidence of what? If a student passes that is no longer evidence we have done our job. If a student fails it is our fault. If a student does well it is because he/she is bright and hardworking.....nothing to do with us.
    We have to account for ourselves when sick, to the point we feel guilty and shamed.
    I'm sick of being set unattainable, unrealistic and un-measurable targets.
    What used to be a lovely job is now a scary place to be, where one's future is largely out of one's own control and teachers are suffering higher levels of work related stress, bullying and depression.
    No wonder I'm planning my exit strategy.

plot71, Mr-Chem, Anonymouse4 and 51 others like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

That is the best post I have Ever Read on here and it is so true. I’ve been teaching 30 years plus and looking forwards to retirement. The whole situation sickens me. Our new marking policy is so hideously aimed at teacher bashing. I could have written that myself but not put it as well as you do @BelleDuJour its sad thing though as I know how hard so many teachers work and how lazy so many of our students are.

plot71, thistledoo, blazer and 12 others like this.
  3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

This is exactly why I left.
    The pay is not good (the equivalent of going from UPS to NQT!) but I only work from 9 - 5, have no work in the evenings or at the weekends, and my performance will be judged on my performance, not on other people's.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

SO true, Belle.

When we used to estimate GCSE results based on what the kids had done and applying our professional knowledge, O was usually the most accurate in the department. Towards the end of my career, I was issued with target grades for my classes and I went into despair when I realized they were being set up to fail, because no matter what I did, those grades would never be achieved, but it would all be my fault and the smug-faced snowflakes had a way out.

plot71, Shedman, thistledoo and 5 others like this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

When I read the opening title I thought hmm this is going to be a long one (thread length), however your OP was so comprehensive there isn't much I can add.

Few people (or student's) actually take responsibility for their action or non action and it clearly starts when they are at school.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For me, one of my life's most useful lessons was failing my first attempt at 'A' Levels, and having to rectify that by my own efforts outside the school system whilst holding down a full-time unskilled job. Consequently I became increasingly uncomfortable with an educational culture that demanded pupil success at any cost, including the teacher's professional judgment and personal integrity.

I have already made my exit from that system, and I now help children to learn in a way that matches my personal principles and ideals. I'm a lot happier as a consequence.

plot71, TCSC47, rosievoice and 5 others like this.
  7. BelleDuJour

Thank you @red_observer.
    I just feel very sad it is this way.
    My own year 11s have asked me (they asked ME) to run extra lessons after school to help them.
    Then SMT declare revision lessons a waste of time and bring in yet another pointless initiative that will have f u c k all effect other than to tick a few of SMT's boxes.
    It sickens me too.
    We are not doing our young people any favours by massaging their egos and blaming the teachers. We need proper vocational courses for those who need them as well, not this dreadful 'one-size-fits-all-but-grades-less-than-4-don't-count-for-diddly-squat'.
    And don't even get me started on the sheer number of teachers on competency/disciplinary of some sort :mad:

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I take my hat off to you @magic surf bus ... like many of us you clearly learned from your mistakes. Now by blaming teachers we are taking that very valuable learning process away from our young people with dire personal and social consequences.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What happened today?
    It seems to be a "final straw" post, in that you have allowed the xollod to influence how you post, rather than your normal upbeatism.
    Especially bad day?
    (sorry to sound like the pinned thing in Dilemmas...)

rosievoice and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. BelleDuJour

Nothing.
    My day off!
    Just sayin'

plot71, TCSC47, Dragonlady30 and 2 others like this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Too right though.
    Tell it like it is.

TCSC47, Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  12. red_observer

How good is that?!

plot71, gargs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. red_observer

Ah those days are long gone. Sadly...:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. red_observer

Good post too. It’s all the fault of the teachers!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. red_observer

May I ask how?!

16. red_observer

Wholeheartedly agree with you. Yes revision sessions are seen as detentions!

plot71 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. red_observer

Fully agree!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think it's a mistake too, that there is an expectation that all students should have a shot at university. It devalues the process in my opinion. And if there was an effective, comprehensive system of vocational courses and qualifications, we might be able to redress the balance and give real value to those courses.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

@BelleDuJour I said I'd give you until Christmas in this present job. I'm sensing I might be right!

Jack it in and concentrate on your cake business.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Though not nearly so eloquent as you Belle, you have really hit the nail on the head.

Sadly it bears no resemblance to the job I trained for many moons ago.

Just seen your post foxtail
    I said exactly that when Blair suggested it years ago. It seems we have not only not moved forward with Education but seem to be back where we were years ago.

dleaf12 likes this.