1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Problem with Education

Discussion in 'Education news' started by sabram86, Apr 25, 2019.

1. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Much ink has been spilt over the problem with education, but, in brief, here is the problem:

Most, if not all of the misery in British schools, is caused by a lack of feedback (i.e. of reality) getting to the right people at the right time, whether pupil, parent, leader or teacher.

English schools are adapt at avoiding reality (in cahoots with the DfE, MATs and other stakeholders) through the following means:
    • League tables
    • Ofsted
    • Exam results (for qualifications whose academic integrity is, at best, diminished, if not wholly disintegrated)
    • Cultures of victimhood
    • Teacher-blaming (particularly for behaviour)
    • Attributing misbehaviour, stupidity or downright wickedness to pseudo-scientific causes or syndromes
    • And many others
    Each of these is a variety of decorating a form of excretion. The hard reality of learning - which requires asceticism and dedication - and which, hitherto, has only been achieved by a relative few is almost forgotten. Rather, the ideal and content of education has been abandoned in favour of vacuous forms of inclusion, which abandon unskilled pupils to the harsh feedback of the adult world, when they find they are unemployable and miserable.

Who's responsible for this? All those who conspire with the continuance of this system.

Shedman likes this.
  2. chocolateboxlife

chocolateboxlife New commenter

3. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Occasional commenter

Are Headteachers to blame? They afterall distance themselves from the very act of 'teaching' and set themselves up against teachers. Are not too many headteachers in it for the money only? And to scapegoat their teacher colleagues when Ofsted arrive?

stonerose likes this.
  4. sabram86

Read the post and digest it. Don't jump to polemical conclusions.

Pomza and thin_ice like this.
  5. Happygopolitely

Perhaps you need to explain yourself better rather than assume a jumping to conclusions ? Or is it an experienced reality that you didn't quite expect ?

6. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Polemic. The default position for this trash-site.

Happygopolitely likes this.
  7. sabram86

A large part of the problem - and one that helps explain poor leadership by SLT - is the generally low calibre of teachers and trainee teachers. Ours is a "profession" in which it is now not necessary to possess GCSEs in maths and English before beginning training. Would this ever be true of medicine, nursing or engineering? No.

Why does teaching accept such low standards? The first reason is that it abandoned the academic orientation long, long ago, perhaps even before the disaster of comprehensivisation. As Thomas Sowell observed, teachers display enthusiasm for anything that is not academic - teachers now act as amateur psychologists, surrogate parents, would-be counsellors, etc. without having the qualifications or experience for any of these roles. Everything is subordinated to some goal other than the life of the mind and the search for truth.

All too often, teaching is a job-creation scheme for people who would be otherwise unemployable, or in less well-paid jobs (of which there are not many). This means that SLT have the whip-hand and that the long-term workforce is of such low-quality that government intervention is inevitable. Meanwhile, there is a moral and human disaster occurring in our schools of the gravest magnitude, but which goes even unnoticed by this generation of "teachers".

8. Happygopolitely

It seems you already have an answer in mind of your own seemingly blinkered concerns. And all a little naive, but then maybe you get what you pay for even with stilted answers which reflect a dire lack of actual teaching experience ? And what is the point of education theory alone if the driver is reliant on preordained and book bound, limited conclusions ?

9. sabram86

The cold, grim reality can be found in the statistics - the decline of the UK's performance in relation to other (notably Far Eastern) industrial nations; the murder of teachers; the abuse of pupils by other pupils. All covered over with a Messiah complex that never questions the system's legitimacy.

And what value has this "teaching experience", the experience of indoctrinating a generation with leftist orthodoxy, of rendering them useless and thoughtless? A lack of teaching experience is perhaps a prerequisite for considering the issue soberly and intellectually, unbiased by financial considerations.

Again, teachers, schools and pupils are, all too often, insulated from cold, hard reality.

10. sabram86

This is exactly the problem - the utter, total and absolute failure to consider what education is for and how to achieve those ends. Rather, education, schools and knowledge are bent out of shape to fit children. This leaves them ignorant, lazy and, frankly, utterly resourceless. Rather than conform to the demands of the world as it is, they are taught that the world must conform to their desires and whims, leaving too many of them unemployable after years of a long and expensive schooling (I cannot call it "education" in any meaningful sense).

How long will this go on? As long as we are prepared to ignore reality - national bankruptcy withal - until the dying embers of knowledge and learning finally go out, plunging us headlong into a cultural dark age.

11. Happygopolitely

Are you an experienced teacher yourself? What is your reality of actual teaching experience?

12. sabram86

I have worked with the youth since 1999 and in schools, in various capacities, since 2004. I have worked as a teacher, both qualified and later qualified, since 2014, as well as a private tutor. I have worked in private schools, state schools, boarding schools, faith and non-faith schools and both in England and overseas.

13. sabram86

As well as both single-sex (boys) and mixed schools. I am mainly a secondary teacher/tutor, but I have a decent amount of primary experience too.

14. Happygopolitely

So only as a qualified teacher for 5 yrs - is that correct? And what has been your longest experience in one school as a qualified teacher?

tonymars likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

I have often thought that the problem with education is all the people who set themselves up as experts with solutions. If they all spent their time being committed to teaching in the long term and seeing students develop over the years they are in a school then we would all be much better off.

16. sabram86

The problem with education is, in part, a lack of people who know what they are doing. I only wish there were an army of "experts", but the low standards of teachers' qualifications are not exactly convincing, are they?

When, on earth, is twenty years' experience with the youth not enough? I have seen them manipulated, lied to, left ignorant, used as pawns in the games of politics or careers, struck by teachers (whom I reported) and left without the knowledge and skills necessary for adult life. All in the name of "education". It is, frankly, a horrible, stultifying and immoral mess.

17. Happygopolitely

Is it not hypocritical of you to try and argue the theory when you yourself are only fairly recently qualified? Why have you not answered my last question ? Is your longer experience as 'unqualified' heavily tainted with bitterness, struggle and anger?

18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So you prefer to exclude kids?
    I note that he's mainly worked in the USA. How relevant are his observations to the UK?
    apart from the the children who get jobs, who go on to further education, who are the powerhouse of our society. A comprehensive school took me to university - it has enabled my pupils to become doctors, lawyers, accountants, nurses, midwives, car mechanics, civil engineers and many other things.

I don't think so.

so what's so leftist about teaching teenagers about the details of chemical bonding, reaction mechanisms and atomic structure? Which is what I've been doing in the last few days.

So what leads you this rather vacuous idea. Most of the youngsters I've known in schools have been civilised and focused. Most of the ones who were somewhat irritatingly rebellious grew up eventually. I believe strongly in inclusion. It means you don't give up on a kid when they get some things wrong. You keep plugging away, working with them, trying to help them understand themselves and the world. Yopu may choose to call us "
    . That's because we care about these kids. What would you have us do? We also work hard to teach them all that academic stuff. That's why most of them get GCSEs, Along with many other posters on this site I do not see any educational leader as a "Messiah" (several of them are very naughty boys though). I question what they want, but because I'm an employee I also get on with doing the job I'm paid to do. Maybe that's why I haven't worked in quite as many schools as you.
    I'm not sure how you want us to respond to your high flown but meaningless rant against us - resign en masse?
    In the meantime, tomorrow I shall go to work with the vulnerable but important kids I work with most of the week. On Thursday, I will go and do some A level chemistry.

19. niikkiileon31

niikkiileon31 New commenter

20. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I would add a shortened version concerning some of the 'right people'. They can be:
    • wilfully blind
    • wilfully deaf
    • wilfully silent