1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with BUBBLES

Discussion in 'News' started by teachersquestions, Jul 4, 2020.

1. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

A mask per day, which you can wash, is fine. They work well, they work really well if they are worn properly. Someone mentioned using plexiglass in classrooms to me today and that might help in some situations. We’d need to have proper research to show if it is safe enough though (don’t wear visors, they just direct things down and they still spread). I’ve seen transparent masks from Korea (yet again, ahead of the game). The sad fact, though, is that no masks is dangerous for anyone.

https://www.twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1279863458826240000

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

From what I understand, if 1 or 2 in the bubble are diagnosed then the bubble goes into quarantine for 14 days. Fair enough.

But whilst that may work in primary schools, where does it leave secondary schools, does the teacher go into quarantine?

If so then frankly the whole school would shut down as each teacher will teach all year groups, so shut one bubble will effectively shut them all.

So presumably the most vulnerable person who is in contact with all bubbles won't go into quarantine.

What's the plan then, what are the unions saying?

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  3. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

I don't really understand why teachers in schools and older students, cannot wear full perspex face visors. They would allow visibility of the full face, so the arguments about masks impeding teaching are null and void. Unless of course the reason is cost, regardless of would the potential lives saved. That decisions are made on the basis of cost and not public health, would not surpirse me one jot. As long as the NHS isn't overwhelmed, all is good according to our esteemed leaders.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The problem with bubbles is they burst.

ChocolateChunk and Smiler31 like this.
  5. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

I have been told by my school that we cannot go further than Government guidelines, is that correct?

I have clearly said all staff and students should wear masks on site at all times, has fallen on deaf ears.

I wonder what the plan is if/when we have 20+ schools with outbreaks? Surely another lockdown will have to happen?

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Schools will not go against Govt guidance. Should anything go awry, parents will be gathering the flaming torches and moving across the drawbridges.

7. ridleyrumpus

Guidelines are guidelines. I really cannot see anyone getting into trouble for being safer than the guidelines whilst maintaining education for the pupils.

Doing less than the guidelines would be unwise.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It’s 8 weeks until most schools return. There’ll be things happen in that time which we can’t even imagine at the moment.

But a few things have started to bubble under a little.

The government’s tone on kids spreading the virus has quietly changed. We’ve had several stories of schools being heavily involved in outbreaks, including Leicester.

Meanwhile there’s a story starting to gain traction about the virus being spread by aerosol, meaning masks would be seen as more effective, particularly in crowded and poorly ventilated indoor situations.

If the scientific consensus falls behind these two, I can’t see the ‘no masks in schools’ policy lasting.

9. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

We are the only country to not see mask as essential. Even in the US they are making sure people wear masks in shops.

When you are being less safe than the US, you know you are doing something wrong!

10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The factors in respiratory virus transmission were researched and concluded in the 1980s after thirty years of experimentation on British human volunteers.WHO did not need to do any further research - just accept the facts.

Catgirl1964 and JTHN13 like this.
  11. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Are teachers in the bubbles in secondary then? I thought that in primary teachers were part of the bubble, but in secondary the bubbles were student only and teachers were meant to distance from them, so able to teach multiple bubbles. I don’t think myself it is realistic to expect teachers to distance from all students of secondary age, but I think that is the theory. It means that one positive test would send the student bubble home, but unless the teacher themself tested positive they could stay working in school.

12. ridleyrumpus

I think that that is the idea but I think it may be a tad difficult to completely distance yourself, esp in practical subjects when it would have health and safety consequences when completely social distancing.

13. CabbageWhite20

I’ve been back in school teaching KS3 a non-practical subject for a couple of weeks now and I can confirm that it it more than a tad difficult to stay distanced and teach effectively. I don’t think any of the staff at my school managed to stay 2m distant, I’d be surprised if any managed 1m.

14. ridleyrumpus

I suppose if the guidance is you don't go within 2m then they can say you are not part of the bubble because you shouldn't have got within 2m regardless of not of whether you actually did.

15. CabbageWhite20

Yes. And then if you catch something and spread it, presumably it will be your fault for not following guidelines the school knew in advance couldn’t or wouldn’t be followed.
    I’d be interested to hear from anyone who is back at school and is managing to distance? I think it is partly a mindset thing (it is incredibly difficult to remember) even with other staff (where it is probably especially important) but it is also genuinely very difficult to teach effectively without getting close to pupils. Maybe it will be much easier with a 1m rule, if that is what September brings, I hope so.

ACOYEAR8 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  16. deborah33

deborah33 New commenter

Bubbles...and PPE.....My middle schools idea though not confirmed yet....Tutor grp is bubble...so they stay in same classroom all day everyday. I have been asked to make my ICT/Comp Sci lessons no computer, so I imagine Art no paint Science no Lab, DT etc...and on. (unless its your tutor room) probably be staggered breaks? not sure so only teachers move...Is this gonna work any better than your schools till Oct (yr 5,6,7,8 only)? It is safer but I think this may harm my students mentally... and as for ppe..not been informed re that yet. Worried though...I wear a mask to shop..as my husband actually works on Covid ward in hospital, so I wear mask to protect other people as I may be a carrier? not had covid so far as my hubby has had immunity test and has no ant-virals so he has not had Covid either so I wear a mask. Should I /can I wear one come Sept? thoughts apprecaited re bubbles and ppe.

17. deborah33

deborah33 New commenter

This is actually something I am very worried about please see my post further down!

18. Newidentity

Newidentity New commenter

I'd like to say that my school have it all sorted. But we haven't had any communication yet about what's happening in September. No timetables, details of form groups, nothing. Then again, at least that stops me worrying that their ideas aren't going to work!