1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The problem with BUBBLES

Discussion in 'News' started by teachersquestions, Jul 4, 2020.

1. teachersquestions

teachersquestions New commenter

Let's face it, the bubble system may protect a majority of a school population, but it doesn't protect the individual and that is the issue. If there is an infection within the bubble, it is likely that many will be infected and the most at risk is the oldest in the group - the teacher. So yes bubbles are a good thing, but provide absolutely no personal protection at all. That's why personal ppe is necessary. Am I the only one to think this?

dawson12, deborah33, Jobalot and 2 others like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Bubbles are just nonsense. Apparently teachers are not allowed ppe. Bar staff use ppe but teachers in a single small badly ventilated room with 30 or more strangers for an hour at a time do not need ppe, apparently.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

We have just been instructed to start wearing a mask.

teachersquestions and Pomza like this.
  4. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

The problem with bubbles is that they don't last long before they burst.

Compulsory masks for students and staff is the only way that September can happen safely.

5. chachapluche

chachapluche New commenter

Masks should be compulsory for staff and at least all students in secondary as they are in some European countries

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Masks are to stop you spreading the virus, not protecting you from the virus. Masks are only effective if everyone is wearing them and there is good fresh air ventilation. Badly ventilated, packed classrooms full of snotty teenagers are death traps for teachers.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Or possibly for their elderly relatives/friends...

8. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Yes, indeed.
    I think one of the many problems schools will have to face is parents sending their obviously sick children in. Winter always used to bring hordes of grey, plague ridden mites to the gates, I doubt it will be any different this year

9. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

People are going to need to be ultra-cautious this year when the 'normal' flu season(s) kick in. I've read that co-infection is a major contributor when it comes to those who end up seriously ill from Covid ( i.e. people being hospitalised ) - and that includes kids. In terms of risk, having a bout of normal flu & turning up for school may be akin to having an underlying health-condition.
    I wonder what absence rates ( staff and pupils ) will be like later this year? Last December there was a pretty vicious 'normal' flu strain circulating round our way but most of us took paracetamol and dragged ourselves in. Can't see that happening this year.

10. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

My worry is also those who are ill but don’t have temp or cough. They could easily have Covid, but because our Gov only recognise the 3 main symptoms we’re going to miss loads or not be allowed to send them home. We should be allowed to say any child ill in any way, however minor, must stay home.

11. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

Temperature checks on all children and staff. Send them home if they have a high temperature. Flu jabs for staff and for primary school children.

deborah33 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It’s not so much flu, which is still relatively rare, but with a simple cough and cold.

Many (most) people end up with one or more of these every autumn and/or winter. If you’re constantly or regularly coughing and sneezing, and you have the virus, that will spread the virus, whether it’s the virus has caused the cough or not.

13. ukpaul

The reason that, when it takes hold, it spreads so quickly is because two thirds who get it are asymptomatic (plus some who are presymptomatic, so waiting for symptoms means it’s too late).

What that means is that any of these measures are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The one child who is symptomatic is sat with two who are showing no symptoms at all.

The only way is to take all measures to prevent the asymptomatic transmitting the virus. This means that masks must be compulsory for all staff and students. It means that distancing must be maintained by all, at all times (if it is two metres for staff then it must be two metres for everyone).

Anyone who does not wear a mask or distance is complicit in spreading the virus.

EmmaT1982 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  14. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

The government is yet to explain the scientific guidance for its decision to advise PPE is not necessary in schools. It is not sufficient to say it is because it interferes with teaching. Schools are still workplaces so PPE should be insisted upon to be worn by all, especially schools have enclosed, offer poorly ventilated classrooms and children are not known for their good standards of hygiene. Also, social distancing of 2 metres by all should also be insisted upon.

lapso77, Jobalot, EmmaT1982 and 2 others like this.
  15. ukpaul

Temperature checks don’t pi
    All I can think of is that they are setting this up as a contentious issue so that they will climb down later and be seen as 'reasonable'.

The thought that they would be so reckless as to go through with it, I just can't see,

16. Catgirl1964

I certainly hope not as the prospect is worrying to say the least.

17. ukpaul

My previous post (part 1) was curtailed. It should have read that 'temperature checks don't pick up many who are infected'.

18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Can a mask protect you, or anyone else, if worn all day? Most medics change them after every task. People on buses/in shops are unlikely to be wearing a mask for more than 30 minutes. Shop staff have plexi glass in front of them.
    Also teachers are supposed to see, and read, facial expressions. You'd also need to wear a transparent one around your mouth, as would all your pupils, unless yo wanted to make life unbearable for children with hearing impairments. And a lot of people who do have hearing impairments cannot wear things around or over their ears.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Well, what are the unions doing about this? And teachers? Teachers have refused to teach violent pupils in the past. Now all pupils pose a potential risk-even the most well-behaved, pleasant child, who'd never dream of hitting anyone. How many of their parents and grandparents-or people who will be near to them as they travel to school-might be very vulnerable?

20. Catgirl1964

NASUWT sent a letter to Gavin Williamson today (dated yesterday) regarding a whole list of concerns and queries to be answered. Also, hot off the press, the WHO have been forced to acknowledge that airborne particles or aerosols can transmit the virus and over a distance of more than 2m and , in fact, remain airborne for some time. This has been revealed by a group of 239 scientists from around the world after investigations. Further information to follow in a few days when WHO may have to amend their advice on distancing and mask wearing.