1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Power of Reviews

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by betsybelleteach, Oct 22, 2015.

1. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

Hey guys,

I mentioned in a previous thread that British buyers seem more reluctant to post feedback. But later that night I received the most generous, complimentary feedback that I have ever had on any of my TES products. And then...yes, you guessed it, that product was then purchased multiple times by others.
    The confidence that a good review can instill in a potential buyer is not to be underestimated. Perhaps the powers that be are working on an incentive scheme to encourage more buyers to leave reviews....

PrinceSobaah likes this.
  2. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Congrats Betsy :) I got a nice review - on my free product o_O:rolleyes::eek::p

3. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I love nice feedback but so few people leave it. I think an incentive scheme would help.

RichardBonser and PrinceSobaah like this.
  4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

There is something new - I got 2 points for a Like the other day!!! Like Green Shield Stamps from the old days. I don't know what I'm saving for...

5. betsybelleteach

Thank you. And well done to you too- it does give you a little buzz doesn't it. Like a nice red tick next to your work at school!

PrinceSobaah likes this.
  6. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Ha ha there you go language have another like. I will help you save for a travel iron.

7. betsybelleteach

Me too!!! I had a message saying I has been awarded a 'trophy'! I was all ready to start preparing an acceptance speech. it was points for a like. But heck, it proves they are trialling incentive schemes so I'm happy!

8. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I have had one review, four stars and a comment on a lack of answers ( it involved drawing on worksheets ). Needless to say it was the only one of my resources without answers and is now the only one with a review. I wonder if TES send email reminders to purchasers to post reviews. That would help. I try to leave helpful reviews on resources I download.

9. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi,

When I spoke to the TES in the summer, I suggested a feedback system a little like eBay: star ratings with 4 or 5 predetermined comments; the user would then select the star rating and comment they feel fits the resource best. I also suggested that a purchaser or downloader should still have the option to leave more personalised feedback too. What do you guys think to that idea?

Like you've all said, feedback does help - undoubtably, but I can see that it must be a bit of a nightmare for the TES to change the way its users interact with the site!

10. Skillsheets

Ideally I would give feedback after actually using a resource. I had to report a free resource once as it made no mathematical sense once I started to work through it. It would be quite difficult to organise that delayed response.

11. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

Skillsheets - you shouldn't have to include answers, if someone needs answers to questions they should already know the answers to then they shouldn't be in a classroom! oops, that's slightly bitchy but... well.... true.

12. esther30

esther30 New commenter

Good morning, could you help, I've found a review and i'd like to reply to it but somehow cannot find how to do it! (Must be me, dopy...) thanks a lot in advance

13. esther30

esther30 New commenter

I totally agree with the idea of the TES team send email reminder to 'sellers of resources' when a product has been reviewed! I was on holiday and it just happened that I went on my TES. Have a great day!

14. Skillsheets

I agree and it would have meant printing and filling in and scanning for this particular resource. Most of the time I don't mind doing the answers as I use my resources as homework for online tuition too.

15. Skillsheets

I don't think you can reply to reviews. I asked TES to remove one because I had made a mistake in uploading and the file wasn't actually there. They could see it was an accident and put it right for me which I was grateful for.

16. betsybelleteach

No, there is no option to respond yet. It is a shame because O once had a situation (on ***) where somebody had given positive feedback but politlely and helpfully pointed out a typo at the same time. I was able to thank them and let them know that I had corrected the mistake and they could go ahead and download the corrected version.
    Hopefully these things will come with time- the team do seem very willing to tKe on board all of our suggestions, they seem to be deciding what to prioritse.
    Must have been annoying to get that feedback when you were on holiday and unable to either amend or at least reply to the criticism. (Although I agree with the above- an answer sheet shouldn't really be necessary!)

17. Skillsheets

I try to write the kind of maths questions that make people think, not just lists of sums so I feel obliged to let busy teachers understand quickly what I was thinking of. Mostly I write the resources I need for my own use.

18. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I wonder if the number of stars given is a cultural thing - I've noticed that at least two of my three 3-star reviews are from overseas. That fits with my thinking that teachers here are over-generous - especially when it comes to giving feedback on INSET!

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Aha - I meant to add that the three-star reviews from overseas users have positive comments, so they're not an indication of low quality.

Professional reviews are also often less generous - compare reviews of CDs on Amazon with those in a magazine such as Q. It's rare for an album to get five stars in Q, which nearly everything on Amazon has 4.5 stars - five from most users with the average being brought down by the odd dissenting voice.

PollyPuddleduck likes this.
  20. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

I think stars and feedback are outdated- I also think the number of times a products has been viewed should be shown.. on the front page not only when it is clicked.. if that makes sense.If I saw something on the front page - in the search had 3000+ views, I would definitely click it.

Charleei likes this.