1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The power of OFSTED..

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Polly12anna, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I am in the 3rd year of a degree course, Educational Management and admin. My last assignment is related to school marketing. At present I am finding that the majority of parental choice is strongly influence by Ofsted reports. I am interested to know if that is your experience. Recently I have experienced parents saying that they like our school and atmosphere etc but have chosen a another primary school because it has an outstanding report even though, they have said that they do not like the head and the school buildings, is ofsted that powerful?

2. R13

R13 New commenter

OFSTED don't appear to have a huge impact on paratental views of a school that their child already goes to. Most parents seem to form their own opinions and if OFSTED says something better or worse they often do not change their minds
    If you don't already have any knowledge of the school then OFSTED certainly can be a powerful guide

3. I have noticed that estate agents will sometimes put SAT's results on their website and links to Ofsted. When I ask Parents they seem to generally go on their feeling for a place during the first visit. The school website is often praised so worth keeping up to date. I get some with lists of questions raised from Ofsted reports but they are usually going on being near friends and what other people tell them about the school. I always ask if they are going anywhere else to look and they will usually volunteer what they have heard from where.

4. Thank you so much for a really helpful answer - thank you

5. I have known parents apply for places at a school with an outstanding without even going to look around. The head insists that the parents and the child visit the school to ensure it is the right school for their child. He also makes it clear that an ofsted can be a judgement that is up to 3 years old (more in some cases) and a lot can change in a school. He says that many parents still say "we've read your Ofsted" as one of the first things when they come to visit.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Having said that I've known parents apply for places at satisfactory schools without visiting first.