1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The pot plant thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

My window ledges and shelves are like a jungle. You could swing across the room on the lianas. I do think pot plants add a certain je ne sais quoi to one's home. Do you have any? My favourites are the big dracaenas.

cissy3 and coffeekid like this.
  2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'd feel very sad without my pot plants. I've got a basket arrangement, given as a birthday present, with hot pink cyclamen, a flaming Katie and some variegated foliage which looks lovely on a windowsill. Other than that I've got various hyacinths, potted daffs, foliage things and a poinsettia that won't die.

cissy3, coffeekid and Lascarina like this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We have a fairly nondescript strawberry geranium which has survived the length of our marriage (30 years this year). It flowers rather beautifully from time to time, suffers neglect with stoicism and sits on our kitchen window. I would be very upset if anything happened to it.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Alas I am death to plants :( They hate me. I try..... probably overtry. My latest orange tree is dead..... was never very sure whether I should pluck the mini oranges from the tree or not? Any advice re that?

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Our house is full of them. Big ones, small ones, trailing ones, spiky ones, succulent ones. I love them all.
    Before we bought this house, we lived in a top floor tenement with a mahoosive skylight in the stairwell. A lot of the plants lived on the outside landing - on the floor, on the walls and hanging on the stair railings. It looked beautiful - hang on, I'll post a photo. This was early on - all the plants grew so fast I had to take some inside. The purple ones especially became like mini-jungles. The green hanging on is enormous now - it hangs next to our shower and reaches the floor.
    01.JPG

Anyway - in this house, there isn't such good light, and some of them are looking a bit peely-wally. I'm filtering the water to see if that helps them. I don't think the tap water is very nice here.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If pot plants ever take over the world in our lifetimes Mrs MSB will be dragged before a pot plant tribunal and tried as a war criminal, such are her atrocities on helpless captive flora.

I've been a bit more successful and managed to have Scotch Bonnet chillis overrunning our conservatory one year. I've got a few odds and sods on the go indoors at present but will be releasing them into the wild in the Spring. I'm not a huge fan of indoor flowers.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm a bit concerned about that bike - it appears to have suicidal tendencies.

coffeekid and cuteinpuce like this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ha ha - it was firmly attached to the railings, but I know what you mean.
    When we moved house we had to use a hack-saw to remove it as the padlock key was lost in the mists of time.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

peely-wally is such a wonderful epithet. I love it, I love it. It gives me a warm glow of satisfaction.

cissy3 and coffeekid like this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Can we have more pictures of plants? They needn't be your own but I am interested to see the types of plants people have. Please?

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I have this - "String of Pearls" plant. You have to be careful that they are decently rooted though, otherwise they can get really straggly and rubbish, especially in this hemisphere's light:

[​IMG]

cissy3 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We have lots of plants but they are mainly transients as I use windowsills like a greenhouse. I'll soon be sowing seeds of half hardy plants and growing them on, in the summer there will be some flowering plants that could otherwise go in the garden.

Currently there's about half a dozen chilli plants from last year overwintering, each in a 2-3 litre pot, one of them is starting to produce chillies already so anticipating a bumper crop this year, they'll go outdoors in May.

4 large Amaryllis bulbs that I brought indoors from the garage recently and watered after their annual nap woke up almost immediately, they were spectacular last year hoping for more of the same.

A bone of some contention is the massive palm we have in a 15" pot. It covers one of three panels of our bi-fold doors which annoys me, it sits on the floor and almost touches the ceiling. It was acquired some years ago when eldest son moved abroad to work when it was much smaller as such Mrs. M. seems to see it as somehow being his representative in the house and its rude good health as a positive omen.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I have LOADS of these because they're ridiculously easy to propagate. Sadly, mine aren't quite so bushy:
    upload_2016-2-27_10-14-8.png

cissy3 likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I LOVE Boston Ferns, but can never keep them alive. :-(

upload_2016-2-27_10-18-38.png

Mangleworzle likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to have a houseful but my husband, alas, can't stand houseplants so sadly I don't have any now.

One of my favourites was a stag horn fern which I had for years until it suddenly died on me.
    [​IMG]
    This isn't mine btw.

cissy3 likes this.
  16. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'll just go and remove the dead daffodils from the window sill. :oops:
    There is a pot of hyacinths which are just coming up there too. :)
    I have a couple of sleeping orchids and an elderly streptocarpus on the kitchen windowsill.

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

And an extremely old and tatty cactus upstairs. I can't bear to throw out living plants.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love those - I have one on my bathroom wall right now. It seems to like the humidity.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I discovered the trick is not to hang on to them when they start dying in the hope that they'll recover. There's usually a healthy part of the plant so split it, repot the healthy bit and start again. Having said that we don't have one at the moment though one of our orchids somehow has a small one growing in the pot with it.

coffeekid likes this.
  20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

@Mangleworzle I like growing chillis but the last few years I have tried the young plants get infested with aphids. I had to purge a whole roomful of plants last time and have given up. :(