1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The positive thread.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklepig2002, Oct 19, 2020.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

There are so many negative posts on here regarding head teachers and SLT, I thought I'd start a positive thread. All head teachers are not bad. I have worked for some lovely heads, like the one who went out of her way to be supportive and compassionate when my mum was ill, like the one who refused to comment in the "what needs to be improved" box on the observation form because my lesson could not be improved, like the one who came in the to observe a science lesson armed with clip board and pen and then rolled up his sleeves and dived in to help with the floating and sinking activities because it was "good fun", the one who let me rearrange my days to go to my husband's retirement trip to Iceland, organised by his best friend, like the one who took time to sit with me and go through my lesson plan with me the night before a final observation from my college tutor on teaching practice, I could go on. I've mainly experienced kindness, fairness and support from my heads. Let's hear your positive stories and give any NQTs who may be reading the idea that not all heads are bad.
    (Sits back and waits for the negative, sarcastic comments......:D)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you. (There is even a suggestion on the Head Teacher thread that some heads might embezzle the Covid Catch Up funding their school receives).

Some heads are nasty heads but only because they were nasty individuals to start with.

The large majority of heads I worked for as a teacher and with as both a head and clerk to governors have been excellent.

On my very first day as a teacher I arrived on my push bike and, while trying to lock it into the staff cycle rack (yes, there really was one) I knocked over a Honda 50 moped belonging to one of the kitchen staff, breaking a mirror.

"No problem," said the head. "School Fund will pay for that."

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They have some very difficult decisions to make but like soldiers they are just doing their job... some obviously better... or more effectively than others.

*That is as positive as it gets for me on SLT sorry if it wasn't what you were hoping for.

As for NQT's, they will find out for themselves soon enough so don't need encouragement or disincentives.

Jamvic and catmother like this.
  4. sparklepig2002

An unnecessary comment, especially without any proof.I'm sure there are dishonest heads, as there are dishonest teachers, but I would like to think they are in the minority.
    That was a good start to your career Nomad. Nothing like arriving in style. :eek::D
    I had a flat tyre at work once, when I had my first car. I set about to change the wheel. The head saw me from his office window and came out to help me. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and nomad like this.
  5. sparklepig2002

No, they don't, but it would be a pleasant change to read some positive stories instead of focusing on negativity all the time. There are plenty of other threads for that. :)

Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and nomad like this.
  6. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

During my time working for the LA I had the opportunity to work with a very wide range of Head Teachers. I found that the vast majority were very hard working and wanted the best for both staff and children. There were some who I would have loved to work for and a minority that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Unsurprisingly, the best heads generally had a strong, stable team and the weakest( a few were bullies in my opinion) tended to have a very high turnover of staff and a lot of the staff were younger and less experienced.
    A decent NQT will quickly work out which schools are worth sticking with and which ones to leave once the probation year is complete.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I never contemplated taking on a headship (I'm retired) and I have great respect for those who are brave enough to do it, particularly in today's education system and politics. HOD was enough for me. I looked at the hassle and stress my Heads suffered and simply decided it was not worth the candle. I witnessed one of my Heads of School out of six I have worked for and one of my Heads of Hall to have the most unpleasant and sad mental breakdowns. The job is very difficult.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Heads vary. I worked for about 8 different Heads in either permanent or long-term supply posts. One was creepy and another was a bully, but the rest were competent, tolerable in varying degrees and one was a pleasure to work for. Sadly this latter head was only in post for a short while, then the bully turned up, prompting the end of my full-time career. I just got unlucky with timing.

My subsequent time on supply proved to me that most schools are not run by bullies, so if you're unfortunate enough to end up with one, move elsewhere as soon as you can.

Strong leaders delegate, weak leaders dictate. Anyone trying to be a hard case is selling their staff short.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Ok. In terms of positive and negative back to my original point, since they are simply doing there jobs they will inevitably have times when their actions aren't what we want to see and others when they are, we simply need to keep things in context. I've witnessed some positive actions to delegate that others perceived as laissez-faire and thus quite a negative, then I've seen the same HT's at other times behave poorly toward staff, mainly due to their lack of management skills... its life and actually is rarely personal though it might feel like it, like any business the organisation must continue (individual HT and staff are less important since no one is irreplaceable), so if we take that away its a win.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Lol, Sparkle. I was discussing what groups of animals were called with my long suffering wife (Community Mental Health Crisis team) a few years ago.

Herd of cows, flock of Birds, of course, to more exotic things like a Cloud of Bats, a Tower of Giraffes, a Zeal of Zebras, a Crash of Rhinoceroses (ok, I admit I just looked these up!) and so on.

My wife looks at me and just says, "A Moan of Teachers!"

11. sparklepig2002

:D

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

This is not my experience, I have known at least one bad head teacher. Not all head teachers are bad would have been better.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Pedant! :p

Lara mfl 05, needabreak and racroesus like this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There is another angle to consider, I started as a callow youth and finished as an orotund, rotund alderman.

15. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

I've worked for quite a few heads and they varied. The best ones were the ones who listened and allowed you to have an opinion that might differ from their's but respected you and trusted you. Some were real characters and quite eccentric. my 1st head was in a split site secondary school and I rarely saw him, 2nd insisted his female staff wore skirts and had a slipper in a cupboard in his office - I think the threat was more than the use, 3rd was a real eccentric, lovely to work for and was a friend after he retired, until he died - he never quite got his head round people going back to work after having children, 4th lasted a couple of years and left to become an lea advisor, 5th was similar (a really nice person though) but left a real mess behind for our then deputy to sort out over threshold payments. Then had an assortment of short term acting heads who varied considerably. I moved schools - head was lovely but new and did not last long - quite a tricky group of staff - followed by several acting heads and another short term one. Then a very good head - treated everyone the same and respected older members of staff. Then the one who caused me to leave along with other members of staff. Since then I have done a type of supply job and been in quite alot of schools. I've come to the conclusion that most heads are doing the best they can - some in really challenging circumstances - and that there are not many really horrible ones.

16. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I find it hard to be positive. I'm a cathode.

Jolly_Roger15 and racroesus like this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Almost of mine were excellent-they were all very experienced teachers. It seems that today people complain about school 'managers'-as in people who only taught for five minutes before trying to escape from the classroom.
    They cared. They asked after students. They often knew all the students' names (in schools, admittedly in colleges they didn't). They always backed up the staff, and would remove and deal with students as necessary. They did a bit of teaching themselves. Many lunched with the staff, and attended social events.
    Unlike many of today's non-teaching managers, they didn't demand a three page plan and evaluation for every lesson, because they knew what mattered.
    I hope there's still a lot of them left.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

HTs I have known:
    The one at my Primary School, vicious, child-hating, religious fanatic nun.
    High School, - lovely man, great teacher, respected and liked throughout the school, the town, the church. Unfortunately the DHT was in charge of the girls. Another psycho nun.
    Final TP - excellent guy, well thought of by all the staff. Very helpful and encouraging.
    First job - like HS. I taught his kids :eek:.
    Second job - weak and rubbish. Took him to a tribunal.
    Third job - Three HTs. The first and second were true community leaders. Dog rough school, staff and kids treated with the utmost care and respect. The second forced out by the council, who installed HT3. I think she was actually unhinged. Only interested in results, cutting costs and capability in order to slim it down for flogging to a MAT. Completely ruined the character of the school and the community lost faith in it.

So a mixed bag.

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Forgot the 4th job owing to having left teaching on account of the spiteful, manipulative, scheming, vengeful, smiling barsteward of an HT.